Requisite Waivers - Section contents
A requisite waiver allows you to undertake a subject without having completed the recommended prerequisite study, granted you have completed study in a related area.
What is a prerequisite subject?
A prerequisite is a subject you have to complete before you can enrol in a more advanced subject. If a subject has prerequisites it will be to ensure that you have sufficient background knowledge to cope with the subject’s content.
Prerequisite study may include:
- VCE subjects, including those that have been taken as part of an International Baccalaureate
- A High School Certificate
- A relevant overseas qualification such as GCE A Levels, or other tertiary studies.
How do I check subject prerequisites?
Every subject page in the University Handbook contains information about any required prerequisites and also lists contact details of the subject coordinator.
What if I haven’t completed a prerequisite?
If you haven’t completed a required prerequisite, you will not be permitted to enrol in the subject.
However, if you have completed studies similar to the prerequisite and those studies are not listed, you may be able to have the required or recommended prerequisites waived, allowing you to enrol in the subject.
In order to do this you will need to get the Subject Coordinator’s permission to enrol and, if successful, submit an Enrolment Variation form to allow the system to manually enrol you in the subject.
Non-VCE Subject Prerequisites
If the enrolment system does not recognise your VCE or equivalent secondary studies as meeting prerequisites for a particular subject, you will need to use the Enrolment Variation form to request assistance.
Check the table below to see if your prerequisite subjects are automatically approved:
|Year 12 (or equivalent) qualification||Level 1 (First year) subject prerequisites approved|
|Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)||Usually approved automatically by the enrolment system|
|Year 12 studies in an Australian state outside Victoria||Usually approved automatically by the enrolment system|
|International Baccalaureate (IB)||Only Level 1 Languages, Maths and Science subjects are automatically approved by the enrolment system|
|Other (e.g. Trinity Foundation Studies, GCE A Levels)||Not automatically approved|
How to get non-VCE subject prerequisites approved?
Visit the ‘Non-VCE Subject Prerequisites’ FAQ for instructions.
Study Abroad and Exchange students
If you require assistance enrolling into a subject(s) which you have successfully completed the prerequisites overseas (exchange or study abroad), you need to submit an Enrolment Variation form. You will also need to attach interim results or documentation such as unofficial statement of results from the partner institution.
How do I request a Requisite Waiver?
- Find the subject in the University Handbook to obtain the Subject Coordinator's contact details and the pre-requisites for each subject
- Contact the Subject Coordinator to request a requisite waiver. You will need the Coordinator's written permission to take the subject
- Once you have permission, use the Enrolment Variation form to submit your enrolment request. You will need to upload a copy of the Coordinator's written permission when submitting your application.
For more information see our ‘Requisite Waiver’ FAQ.