Student Enterprise Program - Section contents
First launched in 2016, Melbourne Ideas gives students the opportunity to create innovative ideas to improve student life on campus. Last year, the inaugural winners of the challenge were Itsi Weinstock (Bachelor of Science) and Shirlin Liu (Master of Arts and Cultural Management) with their idea, the Student Enterprise Program. The pair received $10,000 in seed funding to implement and lead their idea.
Turn your business idea into a reality
The Student Enterprise Program is designed to give students a chance to bring their business ideas to life on campus.
By participating in this program, you will have the opportunity to:
- pitch your idea for the chance to operate your business on campus
- build your entrepreneurial skills through exposure and mentoring
- expand your networks by connecting with peers, alumni, University staff and other social entrepreneurs.
Stages of the program
Set to begin and run for the length of Semester 2, 2017, the program is designed to support you through different stages:
- Be partnered with a mentor to develop your business idea and prepare to launch your concept
- Pitch your business concept to a panel to determine the next stage of your idea’s development
After the pre-incubation stage, one of two opportunities will be offered to students.
- Start your business (only one business will be selected to receive this opportunity)
- Operate from a storefront on campus for a set period
- Receive ongoing mentoring support from the program team
- Develop your business plan
- Receive training and mentoring to refine your business idea
- Showcase your business concept in different forums, and conduct promotion activities on campus
- Share knowledge and experience at a business review workshop
- Discuss next steps for your business journey with the program team
Join the program
This program is open to all current University of Melbourne students.
How to apply
More information on how to apply for the program will be available mid-July.
Complete the Student Enterprise Program Application form before 11.59pm on Wednesday 2 August.
For more information or to register your interest in advance please contact