Change your study load - Section contents

From time to time, you may feel the need to either increase or reduce your study load, depending on your capacity.

If you’d like to increase subjects during a semester so that you don’t need to take as many subjects next semester – and you meet the requirements – you might like to consider overloading.

Alternatively, there are options to reduce your study load, however if you’re an International student, you’ll be required to receive approval before you can make that decision.

See below for a brief outline of your options and remember to check your eligibility before you change your study load as it may have implications for your graduation.


Overloading refers to enrolment in 12.5 credit points over the standard semester full study load, (for example, completing 62.5 points instead of 50, or five standard subjects rather than the four). It is normally restricted to students who have consistently obtained good results.

Visit the Overloading and Over-enrolment webpage for eligibility and important information.

Reduced study load (International students)

As a student visa holder, you are required to complete your course by the end date on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). This requires you maintain a standard study load of 50 points in each half-year period (first half-year is January to June; second half-year is July to December).

However, there are some exceptions to the standard study load.

Visit our Reduced Study Load page for eligibility and important information.

Part-time study (Domestic students)

Domestic students must be enrolled in at least 37.5 points (3 standard subjects) to be considered full-time. If you are enrolled in less than 37.5 points (usually two standard subjects) in either (or both) first or second half-year period, it is automatically defined as part-time.

If you withdraw from a subject, make sure it is not required as a prerequisite for subjects you intend to study in the future or that it is not required as a co-requisite for subjects you are currently studying.

Visit the Full-time/Part-time webpage for eligibility and important information.