Course withdrawal - Section contents

Course withdrawal refers to the process of permanently withdrawing yourself from your course (degree). If you would like to resume your studies in the discontinued course in the future, you will need to reapply.

Before you apply to withdraw from a course, it is recommended that you visit Stop 1 to discuss your options and to ensure that course withdrawal is your best option.

How to withdraw from your course

In order to withdraw from your course you must complete an online application via my.unimelb.

Once you have logged in, course withdrawal options can be accessed by clicking on the 'Student Admin' tab, then selecting 'Go To My Enrolment'.

  • For Undergraduate and Graduate Coursework students, you must then select the 'Apply for Course Withdrawal' link
  • For Graduate Researchers, you must select the 'Apply for / view my candidature changes (including leave)' link.

Applications to withdraw from a course can be submitted at any time. However, you should ensure that you check the census dates in the Handbook for each subject that you are enrolled in.

For detailed instructions on how to withdraw from your course visit the ‘Withdrawing from or discontinuing a course’ FAQ.

Do deadlines apply for course withdrawal?

Yes. If your application is made after the last date to withdraw without a fail and you do not have approved Special Consideration, you may receive a fail grade for any enrolled subject and will be liable to pay the fees for each subject that you are enrolled in at that time.

If your application is made after the census date but before the last date to withdraw without a fail you may still be liable for your subjects.

After your application has been processed, a written acknowledgement from Stop 1 will be sent.

Visa implications for international students

International students on a student visa are required to comply with visa condition 8202: meeting course requirements, which requires you to remain in a registered course.

Once your course withdrawal is approved, we will cancel your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and notify the Department of Home Affairs. If you are still in Australia, you will need to depart Australia or apply for a different visa within 28 days.

If you have complied with your visa conditions and returned home, your visa will be allowed to cease naturally or will be cancelled administratively.

Alternatives to course withdrawal

If you don't wish to completely withdraw from the course you are currently undertaking there are alternative solutions, such as:

Leave of Absence

Taking a Leave of Absence (LOA) allows you to take a break from your studies and have a guaranteed place in the course upon your return. You may apply to take a leave of absence for up to one year, subject to Stop 1 approval.

Reduction of course load

You may be able to reduce your course load to better suit your commitments. This can be done by changing your subjects through your Study Plan.

If you are an international student, special conditions apply to your course load.

Course Deferral

If you are a commencing student you can apply to defer your course commencement for up to one year from the commencement date on your original Offer Letter.