Digital academic statements - Section contents

The University of Melbourne now offers certain academic statements in digital format to download and share, at any time using a secure service provided by My eQuals.

2018 graduates are now able to access the following digital statements (free of charge):

• Academic transcripts
  • Australian Higher Education Graduation Statements (AHEGS)
  • Testamurs

Currently enrolled students can purchase and access a digital copy of their academic transcript mid-course at any time via my.unimelb.

Universities across Australia and New Zealand have started adopting this technology, joining international institutions already using this trusted system.

What are the benefits of digital academic statements?

My eQuals allows you to access your certified documents 24/7 and view them in high definition exactly as they appear on paper. You can share an official copy online with interested parties, such as other education providers and agencies.

When sharing online, you can:

• control who can access your document(s) and for how long
  • view who accessed your documents and when
  • shut-off access to any document, at any time.

Application processes (both study and professional accreditation) are also increasingly moving into the digital realm. Using My eQuals, you will be able to provide a hyperlink (URL) with any electronic application rather than attaching scanned documents or sending originals.

Who can use My eQuals digital academic statements?

• Current students*: you can purchase and access a digital copy of your academic transcript mid-course via my.unimelb.
  • Graduating students: once you have graduated, you will be able to access free digital certified copies of your academic transcript, testamur, and AHEGS.
  • Non-Award course students (Community Access Program, Cross-institutional Study, incoming Study Abroad or Exchange): Once you have completed your course, you will receive access to a free digital certified copy of your academic transcript.

Learn more about how to access and order academic statements.

*This means students who are currently enrolled or were enrolled in the last 12 months, and who can still access their student email account. 

Are digital academic statements secure?

My eQuals utilises advanced cryptographic hardware and banking level security to produce, and certify digital documents meeting international legal and privacy standards.

My eQuals uses advanced electronic signatures which are compliant with EU Digital Signatures Directive 1999/93/EC and national enacting legislation. My eQuals documents are both legally-valid and tamper-evident.

Using My eQuals

Visit the Academic statements page to find what statements you can order, available formats (digital or hard copy), prices, and how to order.

Once you have ordered your document (or your completed course statements are ready):

1. My eQuals will email you when your documents are available:
    • generally within four hours after you request an academic transcript mid-course
    • up to three business days after your course completion for final academic transcripts, or
    • up to five business days after your graduation ceremony for academic transcripts (with conferral date), testamurs and AHEGS.
  2. You will receive a direct link to the document in the notification email. Simply click on the link provided and log into your account using either your University or personal email.

If you have accessed documents through My eQuals before, any document can be accessed easily via the ‘Documents’ screen in your My eQuals account.

3. Once you have opened your document, you can share it with a third party such as an employer.

Just received an email from My eQuals telling you that a document is ready for you for the first time?

Here’s what to do to make sure you can access digital copies of your academic statements long after you graduate.

1. Once you’ve clicked on the link in the email, log in using your University of Melbourne account details and activate your account. My eQuals will then email your University account asking you to verify your account.
  2. Once you’ve verified your University account and logged back in, click on your name in the top right-hand side and select ‘Profile settings’.
  3. Click ‘+Link another email’ and add your preferred, most used personal email account. My eQuals will then email you to verify your personal account.
  4. Once you’ve done this, in your My eQuals home screen, select this email account as your ‘primary’ account. Your password will remain the same - you will now have two usernames that share the same password. You will now have ongoing access once your student account log in expires after 12 months of completing your studies.

You can share a document from two locations in your account:

• Via the ‘Documents’ screen by clicking on ‘Share’ in the ‘Actions’ column, or
  • By clicking on the ‘Share’ button once you have opened the document pdf

You will then be given three options on how to share your document with a third party:

• Generate a link and share it. This can be helpful when applying online using web forms – just insert the link in the text and you are effectively sharing your document.
  • Send an email with the link to your document to the third party. The recipient of the email will then be able to access your document by clicking on the link.
  • Send a document directly to another university using My eQuals (a list of registered universities can be found on My eQuals). Here you will need to provide the Reference Number provided to you by that institution so that they know the document is from you.

With the first two options, you can also add an access PIN and an expiry date for extra security if you wish. If you add a PIN, make sure you inform the recipient, otherwise they won’t be able to access it!

If you have provided someone with a link, you can track if they have viewed the document by clicking on the ‘History’ tab in the document information screen.

The My eQuals website has further information that can help address any queries you may have.