Changing your enrolment - Section contents

As a student you may need to make adjustments to your study plan, or changes to your subject or course enrolment. Use this page to find out how to make these changes.

Throughout your course, you may need to make changes to your subject or course enrolment.

If you are an undergraduate or graduate coursework student and are unable to enrol in a subject of your choice, or adjust your study plan using my.unimelb, the Stop 1 team can assist you to make the changes. You can seek assistance by submitting an online Enrolment Variation Form.

If you are a graduate researcher you can apply to add a coursework subject to your candidature. If you experience any difficulties, please discuss with your Supervisor or your Graduate Research Administrator.

  Self-manage via my.unimelb Submit an EV Form
Subject withdrawal
If you wish to stop studying a particular subject, you can withdraw from a subject.
Subject enrolment
Enrolling in subjects confirms what you will study for each semester. You can self-manage if prerequisites are met or a waiver has been approved.
Leave of absence
If you wish to take a break from your course, apply for leave of absence.
Return from a leave of absence
If you wish to return from a break from your course, re-enrol into your subjects.
Major or subject selection
You need to add a major or subject to your study plan before selecting/enrolling in subjects.
Prerequisites – loading approvals
If you have approval to take a subject without acquiring its prerequisite (a requisite waiver), you will need assistance to load the approval onto your study plan.
Move subjects on your study plan
E.g. have a breadth subject moved from free points section to a breadth section on your study plan
Add approved subjects to your study plan
If you have not been able to do this yourself via my.unimelb.
Study plan expansion
If your study plan appears to be empty with no options, you need to request for a study plan expansion.
Changes to major or minors
If you are unable to change a major or minor yourself on your study plan.
Changes to streams
If you would like to change your course stream as outlined the course entry of the Handbook.
Overload requests
If you want to take more credit points in a study period than your course requires, you can apply to overload.
If you want to take extra subjects beyond the maximum points for your course, you can apply to over-enrol.
Accepting non-credit exemptions
If you have applied for Advanced Standing (credit for prior learning), and have been granted a ‘non-credit exemption’, you will need to accept this on your study plan.

What happens once I submit an Enrolment Variation form?

Once you have submitted an Enrolment Variation form, you will receive an email with expected turnaround times. Staff will assess your enrolment variation request and communicate with you via your student email of the outcome.

Subject enrolment troubleshooting

For suggested fixes to common subject enrolment issues, visit the subject enrolment troubleshooting page.