Pre-departure briefings - Section contents
Pre-Departure Briefings are held each semester in a number of countries. All commencing international students and their families are invited to attend.
Pre-Departure Briefings are designed to support you in your transition to life in Melbourne. You'll learn about everything from visa requirements to the weather, and have the opportunity to ask questions.
Pre-departure briefings calendar
Volunteering to assist with our Pre-Departure Briefings is a great opportunity for students travelling home during the break.
Participation is counted towards the Leaders in Communities Award, and volunteers are recognised with a certificate of participation and a thank you event.
The role of a volunteer is to give new students a positive and enjoyable experience at the pre-departure briefing, and to make new students feel comfortable and confident about their transition to the University of Melbourne. You'll have the opportunity to:
- make new friends, answer questions, and share your personal experience
- develop your interpersonal and teamwork skills
- increase your cross-cultural communication ability
- attend a training session to build your facilitation skills
- meet current and new students
- network with alumni volunteers
- help international students settle into life in Melbourne.
Applications to volunteer at a Pre-Departure Briefing are currently closed, but we'll be seeking volunteers again in September and October, 2019.