Re-enrol for 2019 - Section contents

If you are enrolled in a course in 2018 and plan to continue the same course in 2019, you must re-enrol.

If you are continuing your course in 2019 and have not yet re-enrolled, you have missed the timely enrolment period for 2019.

You can still re-enrol before Friday 4 January 2019 (11:59pm AEDT), however you will be liable for a $109 late re-enrolment fee. If you do not re-enrol by this date, your enrolment will be cancelled. If your enrolment is cancelled, you can apply for reinstatement.  If approved a $274 fee applies.

Graduate researchers – the information on this page (including the deadline and late re-enrolment fee) applies to coursework students only. For information on how to re-enrol, visit the Graduate Research Hub.

Before you re-enrol

How to re-enrol

  • Step 1: Log into your study plan and accept the Enrolment Declaration.
  • Step 2: Enrol in all of your subjects for 2019, and/or apply for a Leave of Absence if you plan to take a break from your course in 2019. Make sure that you complete your re-enrolment for both first half-year and second half-year (unless you are completing your course mid-year).
  • Step 3: Check that you have re-enrolled correctly. Log back into your study plan and check all your subjects for 2019 are marked as ‘enrolled’ and not just planned.

Graduate Researchers: Refer to the Graduate Research Hub for details on how to re-enrol.

Re-enrol now

Support services to help you re-enrol

It’s important that you try to enrol in the right subjects the first time. Follow these steps to get help in making the right decisions for you:

  1. If you need assistance with re-enrolling, visit the online resources first:
  2. If you need more help finalising your 2019 subject choices, speak with a course planning adviser by booking an appointment or drop into Stop 1.
  3. If you’d like to discuss your plans, goals and choices, book an appointment with a Student Connect adviser.
  4. For other enquiries contact Stop 1 or submit a request for enrolment assistance via ask.unimelb.

More information on re-enrolling

There are some situations where you may need to take additional steps when re-enrolling. See below for more information specific to you.

Subject enrolment

You will need to enrol in a full-time study load of 50 points in each half-year period in 2019. This usually requires you to enrol in four subjects per half year.

If you have applied to reduce your study load, you need to remain enrolled full-time until you have received an outcome on your request to reduce study load.

If you are in your final semester of study and have less than 50 points remaining, you do not need to apply for a reduced study load.

Leave of absence

Leave of absence requests have visa implications and must be accompanied by:

  1. a Leave of Absence Declaration Form
  2. supporting evidence (for compassionate or compelling circumstances)
  3. documentation (passport identification page and visa entitlements).

Learn more on how to apply for a leave of absence.

If you don’t enrol before 4 January 2019:

Re-enrol before 4 January assuming you will pass all your subjects. You can then make changes to your enrolment as required once your results have been finalised.

If you enrol in a subject that depends on you passing a prerequisite subject, but then you fail that prerequisite subject, you will:

  • be withdrawn from that subject as you will not have met the prerequisite requirement
  • receive an email which will include instructions for what to do next.

If you’re planning to study overseas as part of your course in 2019, you must re-enrol in subjects taught at the University of Melbourne until you have been enrolled in your placeholder subjects.

You are required to re-enrol, even if you have been accepted by the host institution. We recommend enrolling in the subjects you would be taking at the University of Melbourne as though you were unable to study overseas.

Find out more on the study overseas website.

I plan to take a break for the whole of 2019 and resume my course in 2020

Apply for a leave of absence* for all of 2019 (first and second half-year periods).

I plan to take a break for one half-year period in 2019

Before Friday 4 January:

  1. accept your Enrolment Declaration
  2. enrol in subjects for the semester you intend to study
  3. apply for a leave of absence* for the half-year period you will not be studying.

* International student visa holders must take extra steps when requesting a leave of absence, as there are visa implications. Requests must be accompanied by:

  1. a leave of absence Declaration Form
  2. supporting evidence (for compassionate or compelling circumstances)
  3. documentation (passport identification page and visa entitlements).

Learn more on how to apply for a leave of absence as a student visa holder.

If you will be continuing in both courses in 2019, you need to re-enrol separately for both courses.

If you wish to discontinue one course submit a course withdrawal request for the relevant course and re-enrol in the course you wish to continue before Friday 4 January.

Before Friday 4 January:

  1. accept your Enrolment Declaration
  2. enrol in all the subjects you plan to study in the first half of 2019 (e.g. Semester 1).

I am completing my bachelor degree this year and starting my honours in 2019

You do not need to re-enrol. If you are accepted into honours, you will need to follow the instructions in your offer letter to enrol in that honours course.

I have applied to transfer to another course

  1. Re-enrol in your current course before Friday 4 January to ensure you retain your place.
  2. If your application to transfer is approved, you need to withdraw from your current course before the earliest subject census date. There are consequences if you don’t withdraw from your course in time.
  3. Enrol in your new course.

Submit a course withdrawal request before Friday 4 January.

I’m having difficulties using my study plan to enrol in subjects

Before Friday 4 January:

  1. accept your Enrolment Declaration
  2. visit the subject enrolment troubleshooting page for advice.

The system won’t let me re-enrol because I have sanctions for unpaid fees

  1. Pay your debt as soon as possible. You will be unable to enrol while you have outstanding fees owing to the University.
  2. Once the sanctions have cleared, ensure you re-enrol before Friday 4 January.

Don’t miss important enrolment updates

Remember to check your student email at least twice a week even during University breaks or leave periods. Find out how to forward your University email to a personal account.