Results - Section contents

After finishing your final assignments and exams for the semester, your subject results will be published in my.unimelb.

Completing your course this semester? You will automatically receive access to a free digital academic transcript once all your results have been finalised and your course completion is recorded in my.unimelb.

Find out more about what statements you get for free.

Release dates

Results will be available via my.unimelb by the following dates:

Semester 1, 2019Date
Official results release date Friday 12 July
All results are released progressively and you may be able to view some results before this date.
Special or supplementary assessments results release date

Within 10 working days after the final assessment is sat or submitted.

For assessments sat or submitted during the Special / Supplementary exam period, results are expected to be released by Thursday 8 August, 2019.

Semester 2, 2019Date
Official results release date Friday 6 December
All results are released progressively and you may be able to view some results before this date.
Special or supplementary assessments results release date

Within 10 working days after the final assessment is sat or submitted.

For assessments sat or submitted during the Special / Supplementary exam period, results are expected to be released by Thursday 2 January, 2020.

Non-standard subjects Date

Non-standard subjects (e.g. summer semester, monthly intensives) results release date

Within 20 working days after the final assessment is sat or submitted.

Grading scheme

For a full list of grading and results codes, visit the Assessment and Results Policy.

H1 80%–100% First Class Honours
H2A 75%–79% Second Class Honours Division A
H2B 70%–74% Second Class Honours Division B
H3 65%–69% Third Class Honours
P 50%–64% Pass
N 0–49% Fail
NH 49% Fail where you have not satisfactorily completed all prescribed (hurdle) requirements and would otherwise have passed the subject.
A mark of 49% appears on your transcript.
More details: Hurdle requirements FAQ
S - A special or supplementary exam has been awarded.
Special assessments are awarded as an outcome of Special Consideration. More on special examinations.
WAF - Withheld – assessment to be finalised.
Used when the faculty has decided to withhold the grade. This would be used, for example, where additional assessment in the form of an assignment or an examination is being considered, or the result has been withheld pending the outcome of an academic misconduct hearing.
WXT - An extension has been granted
CMP - Pass (no mark awarded). Only used for subjects marked on a pass/fail basis.

Frequently asked questions


I haven't got all my results, but I think I've failed a subject

During the time between completing your exams and the official results release date on 30 November, you may notice that your Weighted Average Mark (WAM) changes.

This is normal while your results are progressively being added to your student record. Until your results are finalised, don't worry or make assumptions about your WAM changing and how it may reflect on your results.

You will only know if you have failed a subject once you see the final grade recorded in my.unimelb.

What should I do if I failed a subject?

Once you have your results:

  • Confirm if you would like to make any enrolment changes for 2019 (e.g. change a subject, adjust your study load, or take a leave of absence) and check your eligibility to do so. If you have failed a subject, the credit points won’t count towards your degree. You will need to ‘replace’ that subject with a different subject, or study the subject again if it is a core or compulsory subject for your degree. Note that you normally need to complete 50 points at one level before moving on to the next level. The Handbook provides information about course requirements, subjects offered for your course, and subject key dates (e.g. last day to self-enrol, census date, last day to withdraw without fail).
  • Update your Study Plan via my.unimelb

What to do if you are unsure what to do next:

  • Read the failing a subject FAQ for advice on what to do.
  • If you need further assistance with course planning, wait until you have all your results are finalised and then contact Stop 1 for course planning advice.
  • If you are questioning the direction you’re taking in your major/s or course, book a Student Connect appointment.

See the section below for more details about how failing a subject may impact your unsatisfactory academic progress.

What happens if I fail more than one subject?

If you fail one more than one subject, you may not have met the academic progress requirements for your course and will receive an email with important information about your academic progress after the results period.

Find out more about unsatisfactory academic progress, including when to expect an email.

What happens if I failed a prerequisite subject?

If you have a failed subject which is a prerequisite for a subject that you are currently enrolled in, you will be withdrawn from that subject.

You will then need to either enrol in a new subject, or apply for approval to remain enrolled in the withdrawn subject by seeking a requisite waiver.

Learn more on what to do next if you fail a prerequisite subject.

How do I know if I’m eligible for Final Subject Assessment?

The final subject rule is not something you can apply for. You will be contacted if you are eligible.

Find out more about the Final Subject Assessment.

I’ve failed a subject - can I apply for special consideration?

Once your Semester 2 subject results are published in my.unimelb, special consideration applications for these subjects will not be accepted.

The only exception to this rule, is where you can demonstrate that exceptional circumstances prevented you from applying for special consideration by the due date.

I’ve failed a subject but am enrolled in a quota subject in a future study period. What do I do?

If entry into the quota subject is based on academic merit, you may need to enrol in another subject. Please refer to the Handbook for subject-specific quota information.

I hold a student visa and was due to complete my course in Semester 2, 2018, but have failed a subject. What should I do?

You will need to:

  1. Enrol in remaining subjects on your study plan via my.unimelb
  2. Request a Confirmation of Enrolment extension
  3. Renew your visa by applying for a new student visa. Learn more on how to renew a student visa.
How do my results impact my ability to graduate as planned in December 2018?

You will not be able to graduate in December if you have:

  • failed subject/s in your final study period, or
  • been offered a special assessment, and don't decline it before the deadline.

Visit the graduation eligibility FAQ for more information, including when and how to decline a special assessment.

Throughout your degree you are given a Weighted Average Mark (WAM). The WAM gives you an indication of your overall academic performance in your degree and can be viewed in my.unimelb. At some other institutions, this may be known as a Grade Point Average (GPA).

When can I see my WAM?
The WAM is updated progressively as results are added to your record, so the best time to view your WAM is when you can see all of your results for the last study period.

More information:


How do I improve my academic performance?

  • Visit the Academic Skills website and take advantage of their services including individual tutorials, workshops, and online resources.
  • Get feedback from your subject coordinator about your performance in a subject.
  • Arrange a viewing of your exam paper (see below for more information)

Can I see my exam paper?

Exam viewing appointments are a chance for you to have a look at your exam paper.

You can make a request to your Subject Coordinator (contact details listed in the Handbook) to access your examination scripts from the previous semester at any time before the end of the second week of the following semester.

Visit the exam reviews FAQ for details.


What do I do if I’m missing a result?

  1. Wait until Monday 3 December and check your results again.
  2. If results are still missing, check your University email account to see if you have a message from the subject’s academic teaching department about the missing result.
  3. Contact your Subject Coordinator (contact details listed in the Handbook) about your missing result.

Need a copy of your results? A Statement of Results can be accessed free of charge 24/7 at any time during your studies via my.unimelb.

Completing your course? You will receive a free digital academic transcript. Once your degree is conferred, you will receive an additional digital academic transcript along with digital copies of your Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS) and testamur. Visit the Academic Statements page for delivery timelines and more information on other available formats.

You can also order and access a range of certified University academic statements during and after your studies, which can show your results and prove your enrolment and qualifications. Find out more about academic statements.