Reduced Study Load - Section contents
As a student visa holder, you are required to complete your course by the end date in your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE). This requires you maintain a standard study load of 50 points in each half-year period.
Exceptions to this requirement are:
- an approved Reduced Study Load
- an approved Leave of Absence
- suspension or points limitations imposed by a Course Academic Progress Committee
- when you are in your final semester and need fewer than 50 credit points to complete your course.
If you have not maintained a standard study load for reasons other than those listed above, a sanction will be placed on your record.
Valid reasons to apply for a Reduced Study Load
Compassionate or compelling circumstances
- serious medical reasons
- bereavement or trauma
- upheaval in your home country.
Course structure requirements
- You have failed a prerequisite subject and cannot select 50 credit points to enrol into.
- You have changed your major and not all subjects are available in the current semester. (If you have changed your major, this must be actioned in your study plan prior to applying for Reduced Study Load).
- There is limited core subject availability in your major area.
- You have repeatedly failed a subject(s) that disrupts the progress of your study plan. This must be confirmed by a course planning adviser.
Invalid reasons to apply for a Reduced Study Load
- experiencing financial hardship
- dislike of the available elective subjects, including major electives
- planning to make up the points in the future
- intentionally under-loading, as you feel you can still complete on time
- studying fewer topics to improve your Weighted Average Mark
- timetable clashes
- failing a non-requisite subject
- employment reasons.
How to apply
- a study plan (PDF)
- supporting documents.
You must remain enrolled in a full-time study load until you receive a response to your application.
All applications must include up-to-date supporting documentation, which must be in English. Without this, your application will be delayed or refused.
If you need to reduce your load due to subject availability, course structure, or unsatisfactory progress, we also recommend making a course planning appointment at Stop 1.