Visas for your family - Section contents

You may wish to invite family to visit you or live with you during your time in Australia.

Inviting friends or family to visit

If your friends or family want to visit you while you're in Australia, it's likely they will need to obtain a visitor visa (subclass 600).

As part of their visa application, your friends or family may be asked for additional documentation by the Department of Home Affairs. This can include:

Bringing your family to live

Dependents and subsequent entrants

The Department of Home Affairs allows most students to bring their immediate family members to Australia.

Immediate family members are called dependents, and may include your spouse (or de facto partner) and children.

If your dependents were included on your original student visa application, you can apply for them to join you after you’ve commenced your studies as subsequent entrants.

If someone becomes a family member after your visa has been granted (i.e. becomes your spouse), you can make a subsequent application for them. You’ll need to apply for a new student visa and explain why they were not included in your original visa application.

To apply for a new student visa, you must:

Obtain a Nomination of Dependent letter

If you give birth while in Australia

You should notify the Department of Home Affairs of your newborn child. By law, they will receive the same visa as you, but only if you have taken steps to inform the Department of Home Affairs.


If you are under 18 years of age and require a family member to stay with you in Australia, they will need to apply for a Student Guardian visa (subclass 590).