What to do on exam day - Section contents
Prepare ahead and familiarise yourself with the instructions and processes for your exams.
New to exams at the Royal Exhibition Building?
Get familiar with the venue where most exams are held.
Arrive at your exam venue early (at least 15 minutes before the exam start time as outlined in the University's exams policy) so you can find your assigned seat and get settled in.
Doors open approximately 10 minutes prior to the official exam start time.
There are bathroom facilities at each exam venue. If you are at the Royal Exhibition Building, there are toilets located in the facilities compound outside of the venue – you’re not allowed inside the venue to use the toilets before the doors officially open .
If you are running late, you can enter your exam up to 30 minutes after the start of writing time. If you’re late due to exceptional or extenuating factors outside of your control and no student has left the exam, you will be permitted to enter the venue.
If you are late and able to sit the exam, you won’t be given any extra time to complete it. So, make sure you allow enough time to arrive in time for the start of your exam.
You must have with you at all exams:
- Your student card. If you have lost your student card, you can bring acceptable photo ID and a hard copy of your Statement of Enrolment (available via my.unimelb ) as proof of your identity.
- Authorised materials in a clear plastic bag. Bring only small essentials that can be taken inside the exam venue including:
- Writing instruments including pens, pencils, erasers, rulers, either loose or in a clear plastic bag.
- Liquid pens and correction tape can be used, however bottles of whiteout are not permitted.
- Valuable items (including wallets, passports, keys, mobile phones and laptops) are permitted but must remain under your desk and switched off throughout the entire exam.
Note: The University-approved calculator is the Casio FX82 (any suffix). No other models of calculators will be permitted unless otherwise specified on your exam paper.
There are allocated storage areas at each exam venue:
- Royal Exhibition Building - the facilities compound is near the North entrance, opposite the Melbourne museum entrance.
- Wilson Hall - any large bags are to be stored in the foyer.
The bag storage area gets very busy (especially at a large exam venue like the Royal Exhibition Building), so bring only essential items that can be stored under your desk. All handbags, bags and backpacks must be left outside the venue.
- The allocated storage areas are not secure storage and items are left at your own risk.
- Do not leave anything of value in bags being stored at exams. We suggest you do not use or bring designer bags that are of value to you. No bags are permitted in the venues under any circumstances - only your valuables.
- The University does not take responsibility or provide reimbursement for any items that are lost or stolen from an exam venue.
Personal property and student cards left at an exam will be held at the exam venue until the next business day.
All items are returned to Parkville campus the following business day, and are available for collection from the following locations:
You will be unable to leave within the first 30 minutes of the exam writing time or the final 15 minutes of the exam. This means you can leave after the first 30 minutes of writing time, or before the last 15 minutes of the exam, if you finish early. It’s important to not talk or use your phone while exam papers are being collected and to wait in your seat until you have confirmation from exam supervisors to leave the exam venue.
If you are sitting an exam, you must be aware of the policy outlining exam rules. You must follow all instructions given by the exam supervisors. This includes:
- no writing during reading time, and
- pens down as instructed at the end of the exam.
Familiarise yourself with the exam rules ahead of time to ensure you don’t get penalised for academic misconduct.
Once you have found your seat, there will be a handy checklist of reminders to get you ready for the start of the exam on your desk.
Lost property at exams
Personal property and student cards left at an exam will be held at the exam venue until the next business day. All items are returned to Parkville campus the following business day, and are available for collection from the following locations: