Join the first year community - Section contents
Sneak a peek into student life and find out all about the University of Melbourne community.
Prepare for uni life
University is a whole new world: a huge campus, a maze of different buildings and new faces.
Take advantage of the time before the semester commences to get to know the area, lock in that new go-to coffee place, and make new friends. Here’s a few ways you can do this:
- Orientation is the ideal way to get involved by joining a club, society or special interest group. It’s also the perfect opportunity to break the ice and get to know a range of people from the wider University community – people you will no doubt bump into throughout your studies. Head to the Orientation website to plan your itinerary.
- Look out for your invitation to attend a First Year at Melbourne appointment. The meeting is facilitated by your peers and will give you a change to chat to a fellow student about everything from preparing for class to knowing your support networks.
- Book a Student Connect appointment to receive advice on your personal and career development for the years ahead as well as info about opportunities help you grow and make the most out of your time at Melbourne.
Connect on social
There’s a few social media accounts to follow that will help nudge you along with reminders and tips on key dates, events and learning opportunities:
- Like us on Facebook to stay up to date on events and opportunities or drop us a message to say hello!
- Follow us on Instagram for stunning shots of Melbourne and the hidden gems on campus
See what your peers think
If you’re curious about how other students are finding their uni experience, you’re in for a treat. From feedback on classes to comprehensive campus coffee reviews, UniMelb students are always keen to share what they know:
- check in with the First_year@UniMelb blog on a regular basis to find out how other students navigate their first-year journey
- check out the kinds of Unimelb Adventures students are experiencing when they’re not studying.
Go forth and explore!
Remember, University is not just about lectures and tutorials. There are plenty of opportunities to connect with your peers outside of classes; whether you’re looking for fellow baking enthusiasts, a gym buddy, or just some friends to do tv series marathons with.
- Join a student club - from Bollywood to breakdancing, you’re sure to find a club for you
- Develop your skills, meet new people and give back to the community with a volunteering experience
- Sign up for a class or check out the indoor pool at Melbourne University Sport
- Find out what’s on at the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) and in the University at large