Cross Institutional Study - Section contents

If you are interested in undertaking a subject that isn’t offered at the University of Melbourne, it may be possible for you to complete this subject at another university and have it count toward your current degree. This is known as cross-institutional study.

To undertake cross-institutional study, the subject you choose must be directly related to your study and be appropriate to your qualification. Approval will not be given if you want to take a subject that is closely equivalent to a University of Melbourne subject, unless exceptional reasons exist (for example an unplanned, short-term work transfer interstate). Approval will not be granted to University of Melbourne students studying the Juris Doctor for any reason.

What are the guidelines for cross-institutional study?

If you are a University of Melbourne student, you must meet the following requirements to be considered for cross-institutional study. You must have:

  • Maintained a strong academic record (normally 65% average)
  • Have completed at least one full-time semester of study at the University of Melbourne
  • Have appropriate subject content and expectations in terms of contact hours, assessment requirements and graduate outcomes
  • Have a sound academic reason for enrolling in the subject

You are permitted to enrol in up to the equivalent of 100 points of study at another institution providing you meet the necessary requirements.

Note: Capstone subjects are not to be taken cross-institutionally.

How do I apply?

Applications for cross-institutional study must be submitted four weeks before the beginning of the teaching period.

  1. Gather supporting documents
    • Ensure you have an official description of the subject you wish to take. For example, a screen shot of a handbook entry of the subject(s).
    • Provide a statement explaining your reasons to request cross-institutional study.
  2. Seek academic approval

    Undergraduate students
    Obtain written approval from the Coordinator of the relevant major (as stated in the Handbook) or the Director of the degree for breadth study.

    Graduate coursework students
    Obtain written approval from your Course Coordinator. Academic approvals should be presented in the form of a letter/email and must confirm the following:
    • Subject/s applied for are deemed to be of an equivalent academic standard to subjects taught at the University of Melbourne. Please note: the Course Coordinator should also indicate the credit points to be awarded upon successful completion of each approved subject.
    • Similar subjects to those you’ve applied for are not available at the University of Melbourne (this may be waived if you’re requesting to study interstate under exceptional circumstances).
  3. Submit a Cross-Institutional Enrolment Application
  4. Submit your supporting documents via ask.unimelb
    • Click "Submit an Enquiry" under Current students
    • Label your enquiry as "[Student number] - Cross institutional outgoing application - Supporting document"
    • Include supporting documents as outlined in Steps 1 and 2

In all cases, you will need to apply to and complete the enrolment requirements at the other institution.


If you are a Commonwealth Supported Student at the University of Melbourne, you may be eligible to study as a Commonwealth Supported student at the other Australian university also. Note that if you are offered a Commonwealth supported place at another institution, you will be required to complete a separate 'Request for Commonwealth Support' form.

If you are a FEE-HELP student at the University of Melbourne, you will be eligible to undertake any complementary subjects under FEE-HELP (subject to your FEE-HELP limit). Note that you will be required to complete a second FEE- HELP application form for the other institution.

If you are required, as part of your course, to take a subject offered by another Australian university, and you are a Commonwealth Supported student at the University of Melbourne, then you will be eligible to take this subject as a Commonwealth Supported student at the other institution.

What are the guidelines for cross-institutional study?

If you are not a University of Melbourne student and are thinking of undertaking cross-institutional study at the University of Melbourne, you must:

  • be currently enrolled in a degree course at an Australian university
  • have a strong academic record (for example, at least 65% average or equivalent at your home institution)
  • receive approval from your home university
  • receive approval from the University of Melbourne subject coordinator, except in the following cases:

Please note:

  • Other eligibility criteria may apply to the subject(s) for which you wish to apply. Approval for a cross-institutional study enrolment is at the discretion of the relevant teaching faculty or graduate school.
  • Some subjects are not available through cross-institutional study.
  • Some subjects may have quota restrictions and therefore limited availability for cross-institutional study.
  • Where possible, incoming cross-institutional study students will be enrolled on the same fee basis as their current enrolment at their home institution.
  • Incoming cross-institutional study students are subject to the University of Melbourne's Student Fees and Charges Policy.
  • The University will issue fee invoices directly to the student and is unable to administer sponsorship for incoming cross-institutional study students.

How do I apply?

If you are from another Australian university and would like to study a subject/s at the University of Melbourne, you must apply online using the University's Online Application System by the appropriate deadline.

Alternatively, if you are a student from a university overseas considering study at the University of Melbourne, you must apply as an Exchange or Study Abroad student. To find out more please visit the Inbound Studies section of the Melbourne Global Mobility website.

Note: Applications for the following academic year will only open once the University Handbook for the relevant year is available.

Course codes

Please select the level of the subjects you are applying for (as listed in the subject Handbook entry).


Which study period should I apply for?

The table below will help you identify which study period you should apply for. If you are applying for more than one subject please use the study period of the subject with the earliest teaching period start date.

2018 teaching period start date
(shown in the dates & times section of the subject handbook entry)
Study period to select
1 December 2017 11 February 2018 Summer
12 February 2018 9 March 2018 Start Year
10 March 2018 31 May 2018 Autumn
1 June 2018 8 July 2018 Winter
9 July 2018 3 August 2018 Mid Year
4 August 2018 30 November 2018 Spring

Application closing dates

Application closing dates for common study periods in 2018 are:

Semester Teaching period* Application closing date
Summer Term 2018 2 January – 25 February 2018 10 December 2017
Semester 1, 2018
(Start Year)       
26 February – 27 May 2018 11 February 2018
Semester 2, 2018
(Mid Year)       
23 July – 21 October 2018 8 July 2018

*Assessments may still take place after the teaching period is finished.

Other study periods

For subjects with different teaching periods, the application closing date is two weeks before the start of teaching. Quota subjects may have earlier closing dates, refer to the relevant subject entry in the Handbook for details.

The 2019 timeline will be published in late October 2018, as 2019 applications will open once the 2019 handbook is released.