Melbourne Talks - Section contents
Become more familiar with Australian culture and University life and gain confidence communicating in English, while making friends with other students through fun, peer-led activities.
Melbourne Talks is a free 6-week program for international students new to the University of Melbourne delivered by the Student Peer Leader Network in partnership with Academic Skills. There are two streams: one for undergraduate and graduate coursework students and one for graduate researchers.
For information on eligibility, dates and how to apply, select your level of study below.
The program for undergraduate and graduate coursework students is designed to help you:
- Become familiar with Australian culture and University life
- Develop confidence communicating in English
- Network and form social connections with other students
- 12 August – 20 September
- 90 minutes per week, for six weeks.
As this is a highly sought-after offering that attracts high number of applications we ask you to commit to attending every session.
The sessions are also highly interactive so you should come prepared to engage in group discussions, share your thoughts on a range of topics, and participate in mock debates and brainstorming activities.
If you are accepted into the Melbourne Talks Program, you will have an opportunity to:
- Build your confidence, networks and friendships
- Take responsibility for your own independent learning
- Raise your cultural awareness
- Engage with life at the University
How to register
Applications for Semester 2, 2019 are now closed.
The program for graduate researchers is designed to help you:
- Transition smoothly into graduate research at the University of Melbourne
- Consider strategies and practical tools for a successful graduate candidature
- Become familiar with Australian culture and the graduate student life
- Develop confidence communicating in English in a social and academic context
- Network and form social connections with other graduate research students.
Every Wednesday 12–1pm
24 July – 28 August (6 weeks)
You must be able to attend every session to be considered for the program.
The sessions are highly interactive, so come prepared to engage in group discussions, share your thoughts on recent topics, and participate in mock debates and brainstorming activities.
If you are accepted into Melbourne Talks, you’ll benefit from:
- Building confidence, community, networks and friendships
- Developing English language communication skills and strategies for ongoing improvement
- Raising your own cultural awareness
- Taking responsibility for your own independent learning
- Understanding the milestones of graduate candidature
- Developing strategies to have a healthy work/life balance.
How to register
Closing date: Sunday 14 July 2019
‘I really enjoyed the games, group discussions and meeting new people’
‘The program helped me develop initiative to talk to new people and participate in new activities like volunteering.’
‘The tutors are so nice, warm and helpful. I enjoy talking to them and exchanging information with them’
‘Aussie English session has equipped me with lots of local expressions I've never heard before.’
‘I met a lot of people with lots of interesting ideas.’
If you have any questions about Melbourne Talks, email: email@example.com