The 1888 Building will be restored to its original fabric, with concrete walkway additions removed, and the introduction of a north-facing student-focused flexible outdoor courtyard with the removal of non-original walls, newly-exposed following the removal of Lot 6.
Continuing to be the home for GSA, the Building will host graduate study spaces, ERC Library staff, retail offerings and one of two Family Rooms in the Precinct.
A new internal elevator will make all levels in the building fully-accessible for the first time. Newly exposed non-original courtyard walls will be removed to create new north-facing openings and a well-oriented student focused flexible outdoor courtyard. New structure and materials will respond simply and directly to the existing building while being clearly differentiated as contemporary and new.