All coursework students can access dedicated assistance from course advisers, in person or on the phone.
Getting the most out of your course and university experience starts with choosing the right subjects. Our guide on planning your subjects and course gives an overview on the things you need to consider when choosing subjects.
Sometimes you might need a little extra help in deciding what to study. Our course advisers can help you with:
- Planning a course, major or specialisation
- Understanding course rules and structure
- Subject selection
- Using the Study Plan
- Concurrent diploma planning
- Course planning around Study Abroad/Exchange
- Checking you are on track to graduate
- Advice on changing course direction
- Planning for further study.
Manage your enrolment online
Using our online services to request changes to your enrolment can help you to beat the queues during our busy start of semester periods.
Many enrolment changes can be made quickly and easily by submitting an Enrolment Variation (EV) form. You can submit an EV form to:
- Have a subject prerequisite waived
- Move subjects around on your Study Plan
- Change your major, minor or stream
- Request to overload or over-enrol.
Assistance with your class timetable
Book in for course advice or enrolment assistance
If you need further course planning or enrolment assistance, you can book a 15 minute appointment with one of our course advisers.
The start of semester (January to March and July to August) is our busiest time of year, so to avoid a long wait-time or having to return a different day, please take a moment to review the booking options below.
If your enquiry isn't urgent, we recommend making an appointment later in the semester. Our course planning and enrolment services are available throughout the year. During our non-peak times, you can book a 20 minute appointment for detailed advice and assistance.
- If you'd prefer not to make an appointment, or if you can’t find an available time that works for you, please submit an online enquiry via ask.unimelb.
- If you can’t attend your appointment, please cancel it so that other students can book the time.
You can book a 15 minute in-person appointment for course planning and enrolment assistance.
Appointment times are available:
- Parkville: during normal Stop 1 opening hours
- Southbank: Tuesday and Thursdays between 9am-5pm.
Please arrive for your appointment at least 5 minutes ahead of time. If you arrive more than 10 minutes late, you will be assisted in making another booking, but it may not be on the same day.
If you are unable to come to Stop 1 in person, you can book a 15 minute phone appointment. Phone appointments can be booked for students interstate or overseas.
To make the most of the time, we strongly recommend you are in a quiet area, with access to a computer so that we can talk through your Study Plan and other resources. Our adviser will contact you from a ‘private number’, so please be ready to answer.
Arriving at Stop 1 without a booking
If you drop into Stop 1 without booking an appointment, we will do our best to find you the next available time. This may be later that same day, or possibly within a few days during our busy start of semester periods.
Making the most of your appointment
To make the most of your course advising experience, we recommend you prepare by having a list of questions ready for your course adviser, and exploring these resources:
- Review our course planning information
- Learn how to change your enrolment online
- Find out how to enrol in subjects and use the Study Plan
- Find your course and subject details in the Handbook
- Check out your faculty resources, videos and guides and download a course map template to help you build your course
- If you're a new student, follow the steps in Get Started at Melbourne.