COVID-19 advice for international students

Keep yourself updated with the latest travel advice, support services and FAQs.

Last updated: 09.11am, 21 January 2022

Travel to Australia

The Australian Government has announced that fully vaccinated Australian citizens, permanent residents and eligible visa holders can travel to and from Australia without needing to apply for a travel exemption. We are delighted at this news and look forward to supporting your travel to Melbourne.

For the latest updates, we encourage you to regularly check information from the Australia Government Department of Home Affairs, the Victorian Information for Overseas Travellers, and our International Student Arrivals page.

Arriving in Melbourne

We look forward to welcoming you to our campuses as you make travel plans for your safe arrival in Melbourne. Find the advice and support you need to plan for your travel to Australia.

International Student Arrivals

Please note: Due to rapidly changing travel conditions, it is recommended to remain flexible in your travel plans. When booking your flight, consider purchasing a flexible airfare that allows you to change your travel dates if required.

Purchasing your flight via a travel agent that offers 24/7 traveller support is also highly recommended, particularly once you are travelling. We encourage you to contact the University's preferred provider for information on their service. See the International Student Arrivals page for details.

Visa advice

You will need a valid student visa to enter Australia. Visit our COVID-19 student visa FAQs for the latest advice about how your student visa may be affected.

Accommodation in Australia

If you need to arrange accommodation in Melbourne, we are offering a 'no travel, no stress' guarantee through the University accommodation service. Dedicated staff are available to assist you with your options and to support your arrival in Melbourne.

Connect with the University Accommodation Unit

Advice for international students in Australia

If you are considering travelling to your home country during the 2021/22 summer period, it is important that you are aware of any possible restrictions or risks regarding travel at this time. Refer to the Australian Government's travel advice and restrictions for travel from specific locations to Australia, which may change at short notice, and prevent you from returning to Australia in time for your upcoming semester. You are encouraged to monitor this situation and how it might impact your enrolment. For any visa enquiries, you should contact the Department of Home Affairs.

If you are a student visa holder, you can access the Australian Government’s Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment if you’re unable to work and earn income because you or someone you’re caring for has to self-isolate or quarantine due to COVID-19.

Accessing healthcare, counselling and other services

  • For students located outside Australia

    Healthcare and counselling

    Doctors  practicing in Australia are restricted to providing health care services only to people located in Australia. If you are outside Australia, you will need to access your local health services for support and treatment.

    However, if you would like to access mental health and wellbeing support, the University has partnered with Workplace Options to provide counselling services to students based outside Australia. To learn more about this service, and book an appointment, visit the Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS) page to explore these options.


    There are also a range of wellbeing related student workshops and sessions that you can participate in no matter where you are located.

    For information on OSHC refunds for periods of study not completed in Australia, check our student visa FAQs.

    Study Hubs

    A global network of Study Hubs can be accessed in multiple locations around the world to help you study and connect with other University of Melbourne students, local staff, alumni and advice. You can find the support you need at a Study Hub in any one of these locations:

    • Nanjing, Shenzhen and Shanghai, China
    • Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
    • India (virtual)

    Check all the locations to find a Study Hub near you.

  • For students located in Australia

    Your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) will cover equivalent health care to the Medicare Benefits Scheme. This means that you can access a doctor (General Practitioner, or GP) and seek a referral for pathology, psychology, psychiatry or a mental health nurse through the University Health Service without incurring any out-of-pocket expenses if using BUPA, the UoM preferred OSHC provider. Find out more on the University Health Service's information for international students page.

    Counselling and Psychological services (CAPs) provide free and confidential counselling to all currently enrolled students. If you require access to mental health support, you can make an appointment.


For information and FAQs regarding your studies in 2022, visit the COVID-19 course and subject delivery information page.

Other support services

Here are some useful resources and services that you can access from anywhere:

If you need further support and advice, please contact Stop 1.

Further support

The University has a range of support services available to you. If you require further assistance, you can also submit an enquiry to Stop 1 for advice, or get in touch with UMSU or the GSA.