If you are a student with carer responsibilities, you may be eligible to Register for ongoing support for your studies.

Are you waiting on an application or an appointment?

Due to a high volume of applications, there may be a short waiting time for an appointment. We understand that you are wanting an outcome as soon as possible and we are working hard to reduce your wait time. We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your cooperation.

Who is eligible?

The University of Melbourne recognises carers in accordance with the Carers Recognition Act 2010 and the Carers Recognition Act 2012 (Vic). Carers are people who provide personal care, support and assistance to another individual in need of support due to disability, medical condition, including terminal or chronic illness, mental illness or is frail and aged.

The Carers Recognition Act 2012 recognises, promotes and values the role of carers. While carers support people with a disability to go about their day-to-day activities, they may also need their own support to carry out their care role.

Types of support available

The University may make education adjustments to your studies to help offset any disadvantage you might face without them.

Education adjustments (sometimes referred to as equitable adjustments) are changes to how subjects are taught and assessed.

Adjustments are made on a case-by-case basis, and may include:

  • Alternative exam arrangements
  • Extensions to assignments
  • Flexibility in attendance requirements.

Once you have applied for support, one of our Student Equity Advisers will work with you to create an Academic Adjustment Plan (AAP) based on your needs.

How to register

Registration for ongoing support is voluntary. You can register at any time during your studies, however, we recommend registration when enrolling in your course to allow for appropriate adjustments to be accommodated by your academics and other support staff.


Supporting documentation

You need to provide supporting documentation to verify that you have significant carer responsibilities.

Suitable verification documents can include:

  • An official Centrelink document showing evidence of a Centrelink benefit.
  • A letter from a GP verifying your responsibilities, and the impact of your responsibilities on your study.

Useful resources

University services and resources may also be helpful to students who are carers including.

  • Counselling and Psychological Services
    The University of Melbourne Counselling and Psychological Services provides free, confidential, short-term professional counselling to currently enrolled students.
  • Standards for equity support
    Information about student equity and disability support standards at the University of Melbourne for students, staff, and the wider University community.

Need help?

If you still have questions relating to ongoing support for carers, please contact Stop 1.