Updating your visa status and passport details

Your visa status may change before or during your time at the University.

Before you commence your course

If you applied to the University of Melbourne as an international student, but become an Australian permanent resident or New Zealand citizen, or acquire any other type of temporary visa, before you start your course (i.e. while completing your enrolment), you must complete and submit a Change of Citizenship form.

You will be reassessed to determine if you are eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place (if available).

After you commence your course

International students who have commenced their course and are granted a new visa should notify Stop 1 depending on the type of visa granted.

Temporary visa

If you are granted a new temporary visa, you should let us know by submitting an enquiry. Your enquiry should be titled 'Change of visa'.

Although you'll remain an international full-fee paying student, please be aware of any conditions and entitlements that may change as a result of your new visa.

Permanent residency

If you are granted a permanent visa or New Zealand citizenship, you need to complete and submit a Change of Citizenship form. You'll then receive further information about your student status and fee liability.

Passport details

If your passport has changed you are required to update both the University of Melbourne and the Department of Home Affairs.

To update the University of Melbourne, submit an request online.

For information on how to notify the Department of Home Affairs.

You must also inform the Department of Home Affairs of:

  • changes to your phone number, email, address or passport
  • changes to your relationship status
  • changes to your welfare arrangements
  • the birth of a child

Further details can be found at the Department of Home Affairs website.

Need help with updating your citizenship details?

Submit an online enquiry to Stop 1 and we'll get back to you within 10 business days.

Submit an enquiry