Programs for researchers - Section contents
Masters by Research and PhD students can undertake study overseas, with opportunities ranging from a few weeks to a year.
By participating in an Exchange program, you will receive assistance from the University of Melbourne to undertake research at one of our partner institutions, while continuing with your current tuition arrangement with us.
There are several benefits to undertaking an Exchange program:
- Pay tuition fees to the University of Melbourne rather than your host institution.
- Receive admin support throughout the entire process from one of our Education Abroad Advisers.
- Access a range of university scholarships and funding options.
Universitas 21 (U21) Exchange programs
Universitas 21 (U21) is a partnership network comprised of 25 prestigious institutions in Australia and around the world. University of Melbourne students applying for Exchange to a U21 institution are given preference for acceptance and housing at their host institution.
You may have the option to undertake a Fee-paying program with an institution that is not partnered with the University of Melbourne. To participate in a Fee-paying program you must:
- Independently research, apply to and organise your research opportunity at the host institution of choice.
- Pay tuition fees directly to your host institution rather than to the University of Melbourne.
- Receive approval from the University of Melbourne to undertake research overseas by following the process below.
Important informationData collection undertaken overseas for a thesis will not receive credit. However, if research is completed as part of a research subject, you may be awarded credit on completion of the subject.
Studying overseas as a research student can be complex, so it's worth speaking with a Stop 1 adviser about what you would like to do.
Once you're ready to start the process, please submit an online enquiry to Stop 1.
You'll need to let us know about your intended:
- host institution and destination, and why you chose it
- dates of overseas research
- research topic
- potential supervisor at your host institution (if you've identified one).
Please also indicate whether or not you have received support to study overseas from your supervisors here at the University of Melbourne.
Once we receive your enquiry, a member of our partnerships team will be in touch to discuss next steps.
Application dates and timelines
Different dates and timelines apply depending on what type of overseas study you'd like you complete.
You should get in touch with us to begin your application process at least 12 weeks before the application deadline.
Upcoming application deadlines
Programs during our winter break:
Sunday 1 April 2018
Programs during our summer break:
Saturday 1 September 2018
Exchange programs during Semester 1, 2019:
Sunday 27 May 2018
Fee-paying programs during Semester 2, 2018:
Sunday 27 May 2018