Complete your application - Section contents
You've made the decision to study overseas - it's time to apply. There are a few parts to the application process, which we've outlined below.
Before you start
Before submitting your application, make sure you have:
- Read all necessary program information, especially the eligibility criteria
- Researched your program and host institution, including available subjects
- Looked at the Programs Database entry for your short-term program and the program’s website
- Checked that your program dates do not clash with the University of Melbourne’s teaching or examination periods.
How to apply
1. Complete your application form
Visit the Programs Database and select the program you wish to apply for. Read the information on the Apply Now tab and press the ‘Apply Now’ button to commence your application. Note, this button will only become visible once applications are open.
Application form tips:
- You don't have to answer application questions chronologically or in the one session.
- Remember to save your answers so you can come back to finish them when you're ready.
- As you work through the form, click ‘submit’ once you’ve completed a question. Once all questions have been submitted, you will be able to submit your entire application by clicking the button at the top of the page.
- Double-check that you are happy with your responses before you submit. Once submitted, your application will be locked and you will be unable to make changes.
2. Provide your passport details
You will need to provide a copy of the photo page of your passport when completing the application form. Your passport must have at least six months validity after the end of your overseas study period.
Don’t have a passport or expires soon?
If you do not have a current passport or the expiration date is within six months of your return date, you should apply for a new one through Australia Post.
3. Complete an overseas study plan
As part of your application, you will be guided to complete an overseas study plan using the Overseas Study Planner tool. The tool will allow you to nominate the subject(s) you would like to take, and will be assessed by academic and Stop 1 staff to ensure your overseas study program will count for credit towards your Melbourne degree.
When possible, we recommend submitting more subjects than you will need. You can submit up to double the minimum credit points you are required to complete while overseas.
4. Submit all requirements before the deadline
Have you already started an application?
Don't pay before your application is approved!For some short-term programs you may be able to start your host institution application at the same time as your University of Melbourne application. However, we strongly advise that you don’t pay any fees to your host institution until you have received approval from the University of Melbourne.
Short-term program (summer break):
Rolling deadlines from Sunday 28 July - Sunday 10 November 2019. Visit the Programs Database for the specific application deadline of your short-term program.