Find out about the different exam formats that will be used for Summer Exams, 2021.
How online exams work
Exams for Summer, 2021 will be delivered online due to COVID-19. For the latest information about exams, study resources and support services, visit Exams.
- Your exam timetable will display a set exam start time (eg 10am) and end time (eg 12pm). You will have a set period of time to complete your exam (eg two hours).
- You will only have access to the exam in the LMS during the scheduled time slot.
- Questions may be multiple choice, short or long answer. Some exams may require you to upload written material, or you may be supervised while taking your exam via Zoom. See exam formats for more information.
- If your exam has reading time, this will be listed in your individual exam timetable (eg 15 minutes). Reading time is built into the duration of the exam.
- At the end of the exam duration, you will submit your exam via the LMS. Please see exam formats for more information on the submission process for your exam.
- Exam submissions can be made up to 30 minutes after the exam due time in the LMS, to ensure students experiencing technical issues are not locked out of the system at due time. However, this late submission period cannot be used as additional exam time. The Subject Coordinator may request evidence of technical issues or a late penalty may apply. See exam formats for more information.
Your Subject Coordinator may use one or more of the following exam formats when creating the exam that you will take on exam day. Your Subject Coordinator will tell you before the exam what format/formats it will take. Please check your LMS subject site or contact your Subject Coordinator for more information.
Here are some tips and advice for taking your LMS quiz exam.
Here are some tips and advice for sitting your LMS assignment exam.
LMS assignments using Gradescope
Gradescope is an assessment platform that allows you to upload exam papers for digital grading and feedback. Here are some tips and advice for sitting your LMS exam using Gradescope.
LMS assignments using Cadmus
Cadmus is an online assessment tool that is accessed within the LMS, and is used to complete and submit written exams. Here are some tips and advice for sitting your LMS Cadmus exam.
Here are some tips and advice for sitting your Zoom exam.
Zoom-supervised exams using Gradescope for Maths and Statistics subjects
Several Mathematics and Statistics exams in Summer, 2021 will be supervised via Zoom, and will be submitted using Gradescope. Here are some tips and advice for sitting your Zoom supervised exams using Gradescope.
If you are studying a specialist subject, a subject with a practical component (eg Melbourne Medical School or Faculty of Fine Arts and Music subjects), or a subject with another type of online assessment managed by your faculty such as take-home assessments, there may be different exam arrangements in place for you. Your Subject Coordinator will advise you of these arrangements.
What can I use in my exam?
- You may be allowed to use notes, textbooks or resource materials as authorised by the Board of Examiners.
- These exams will test your ability to use your notes and textbooks to analyse information and apply knowledge.
- Your Subject Coordinator will confirm with you what materials will be permitted for your exam sitting and any supervision arrangements which will be in place throughout the exam.
Privacy and security
Academic integrity in online exams
It is important for all students to understand their responsibilities for ethical scholarly practices. Academic integrity refers to students submitting scholarly work for assessment that represents their own original ideas and original work. The University of Melbourne expects the highest scholarly standards from its students in all areas of their learning and assessment.
Find out more
Updated academic integrity advice for online examinations is available on the Academic Integrity website. It includes information on the academic integrity declaration for exam and assessment tools, and advice on how to ensure you comply with academic integrity during your online exams. We recommend you review this information carefully and also complete the academic integrity learning module prior to sitting your exams.