Here are some tips and advice for sitting your Zoom-supervised exams
Things to do before exam day arrives
Get ready to verify your identity
Your Zoom supervisor will confirm your identity during the exam by checking the photo ID you have uploaded for your student card.
Make sure you have uploaded a photo at least 5 days before your exam. If we cannot verify your identity on exam day, your exam will not be accepted by your Faculty.
- Choose your Zoom device and locate your Zoom link
Check your internet connection
You will need a strong internet connection to keep connected to your exam Zoom for the entire exam, including when you are scanning and submitting your exam.
Your connection should be able to support a video quality that allows your face to be clearly identifiable.
Decide how you will view the exam paper
You can download the exam paper onto a device for reading. This device must be disconnected from the internet after you have downloaded the paper, and your screen must be visible to your Zoom supervisor.
You can also choose to print the exam paper. You may briefly leave the room to collect your printing.
Know what items you are permitted to use during the exam
Your Subject Coordinator will tell you what items you are permitted to use during the exam. These should be the only items you have on your exam desk.
Test your webcam set up
Make sure you have good lighting and your webcam has a clear view of you and your desk.
Here’s some examples of good and bad webcam set up.
Acceptable - this student is viewing the exam via phone, with the device visible on their desk.
Acceptable - this student has a second device disconnected from the internet - with the screen visible.
Acceptable - this student has ensured that their hand is not out of view if they reach forward.
Acceptable - this student is using a printed exam, and their face is clear and visible for identificaton.
Unacceptable - the device is too close; your hands should not go out of view during the exam.
Unacceptable - the device being used to read the exam paper is not visible.
Unacceptable - objects within reach are not visible - either obscured or out of frame.
Unacceptable - objects within reach are not visible, the student can't be identified and your working out shouldn't be readable.
Decide how you will scan and submit your exam
You must remain under Zoom supervision while you are scanning and submitting your exam.
Any exams submitted outside of zoom supervision will not be accepted, so it is strongly recommended that you do not plan to use your zoom device to scan your exam papers.
It is also strongly recommended that you use a scanning app on your phone rather than take photographs of your exam papers. Students who try to submit photographs of their exam may find the file size is too large to submit.
Download and test out your chosen scanning app before the exam period so you don't experience any trouble on exam day.
Understand the Zoom supervised exam rules
All students must follow the exam rules for zoom supervised exams.
- Enter your Zoom room 15 minutes before exam time: Your Zoom supervisor will check your webcam view and provide you with important instructions before you start.
- Listen to instructions: Make sure you listen carefully when your exam supervisor is giving instructions.
- Stay in your webcam view: You must stay in webcam view for the entire exam. If you need to leave the room for any reason (for example, to use the toilet), you must first tell your supervisor and leave all exam materials in the exam room. All absences from the exam zoom are noted by zoom supervisors.
- Only use permitted materials: Your Subject Coordinator will tell you what items you are permitted to use in your exam. Use of unauthorised materials will be reported to your Faculty.
- Talk: You must not talk to anyone else in your exam space during your online exam
- Collude with others: Colluding with others to gain an unfair advantage is a breach of exam rules and will result in disciplinary action
- Access the exam paper outside of Zoom supervision: You must not access the exam paper before you join the exam Zoom, or after you have left the Zoom.
- Leave your webcam view without permission: Leaving your webcam view without telling your Zoom supervisor first is considered possible academic misconduct.
- Write or make notes during reading time: You are not permitted to make any notes on your exam paper during reading time.
- Write after your exam time ends: You must immediately stop writing when told to do so. Any writing after this point will be reported to your Faculty.
- Exit Zoom before completing your exam submissions: You must make your exam submission before you exit the Zoom room. Any exam submissions made after you leave the exam Zoom will not be accepted.
Your schedule for exam day
|Timing on the day||What you should do|
1 hour before your exam
15 minutes before your exam
Exam start time
Exam writing start time
Exam end time