Several Mathematics and Statistics exams in Semester 2, 2020 will be supervised via Zoom, and will be submitted using Gradescope. Here are some tips and advice for sitting your Zoom supervised exams using Gradescope.
Your exam will be supervised via Zoom. You must update your Zoom to version 5.0 or above on your computers and devices to complete your exams in Semester 2, 2020. View the detailed instructions on how to update Zoom.
Your schedule for exam day
|Timing on the day||What you should do|
1 hour before your exam
30 minutes before your exam
15 minutes before your exam
Exam start time
Exam end time
Setting up your exam space so you are ready to join Zoom
Test if your location has a good wifi or wired internet connection. Ask your housemates or family to avoid bandwidth-hungry activities like streaming movies while you’re taking your exam.
You must update your Zoom to version 5.0 or above on your computers and devices to complete your exams in Semester 2, 2020. View the detailed instructions on how to update Zoom.
Check if your internet connection and data plan are adequate for Zoom usage
Test your connection by visiting these pages:
Your connection should support a video quality that enables your face to be clearly identifiable.
Minimum recommended data allowance for Zoom
- Group Zoom meetings use between 810 MB–2.4 GB of data per hour, depending on the video quality.
- You can reduce data usage by unticking the Enable HD option in video settings.
- Most laptops will be in the midrange and will use about 1.4 GB of data per hour. Please ensure you have sufficient data to complete your exam.
- If you are worried that your internet connection or data plan won’t be able to support a Zoom exam, please refer to our support services to see how we can help you take your exam.
Set up Zoom for identity verification
It is important that your webcam is set up with optimal lighting so that exam supervisors can clearly see your workspace throughout a Zoom ID verified exam. The reasons for this are to:
- Verify your identity as would normally be done in a regular exam.
- Verify that you were present and abided by the examinations policy during the exam.
- Ensure that only authorised materials were used during the exam.
- Ensure that you did not interact with devices that have internet access during the exam.
Your webcam should be in a position to clearly show you working with your whole desktop, including:
- The printed exam paper or the device for exam paper reading with screen visible.
- A printed exam paper and/or blank paper.
- Allowed materials. Please note that headphones cannot be used during Zoom supervised exams.
Do not use your webcam to broadcast your exam workings. The details on the pages should not be readable.
You will not be permitted to use images as a Zoom background during the exam.
Acceptable - this student is viewing the exam via phone, with the device visible on their desk.
Acceptable - this student has a second device disconnected from the internet - with the screen visible.
Acceptable - this student has ensured that their hand is not out of view if they reach forward.
Acceptable - this student is using a printed exam, and their face is clear and visible for identificaton.
Unacceptable - the device is too close; your hands should not go out of view during the exam.
Unacceptable - the device being used to read the exam paper is not visible.
Unacceptable - objects within reach are not visible - either obscured or out of frame.
Unacceptable - objects within reach are not visible, the student can't be identified and your working out shouldn't be readable.
Joining the Zoom exam room
- Log into the LMS. Ensure that your personal calendar is visible in the LMS. If it isn't visible, in the Calendar view, click the box next to your name to toggle this view. The link to the Zoom exam room is registered against this calendar, rather than your subject's calendar.
- Below is a screenshot of how the Zoom supervised exam will look in the LMS calendar. The calendar item will be created during SWOTVac.
Click the link provided in your LMS calendar to join the Zoom meeting.
Below is a screenshot to show where the Zoom meeting link is.
Your Zoom exam room link will also be available in your personal exam timetable in my.unimelb.
You should join the Zoom room 15 minutes prior to the exam start time. You may be asked to modify your webcam view and lighting by the supervisor.
You will need to log into Zoom using your University of Melbourne username and password. For instructions visit the LMS guide on how to log into Zoom.
Can't find your Zoom exam room link?
If you cannot find your Zoom link, please contact technical support via the following channels and they can provide your link to you. They will need your Student ID and subject code.
- Phone (inside Australia): 13 6352 (once you call, select option 1 in the first menu for current students and then select option 1 again in the second menu for exam enquiries)
- Phone (outside Australia): +61 3 9035 5511 (once you call, select option 1 in the first menu for current students and then select option 1 again in the second menu for exam enquiries)
Completing and submitting your assessment
Go to the Assessments tab in the LMS to access your exam. The content will not be available until the official exam start time.
When the exam is made available at the start time, you have two options available for reading and completing the exam:
- You can print the exam out during the reading time. You will read the questions on the exam paper and complete the answers in the answer boxes provided.
- You can open the exam on a second device. You will read the questions on the device and complete the answers in the answer boxes of a blank template (to be provided ahead of the exams) or on blank A4 paper.
Once the exam template has been downloaded to and opened on the device, the device must be disconnected from the internet. The screen of the device should be visible on the webcam view you set up.
Throughout the exam you will have the Zoom meeting open to observe you whilst completing your exam. You can communicate with the supervisor through the Zoom chat function if needed. You will be able to go to the bathroom during your exam if needed. However, you must notify your Exam Supervisor through the Zoom chat function.
At the end of the exam you will scan your answer sheets and submit as per the Gradescope instructions.
You will receive an email confirming submission. Once you have received the email confirmation, request permission from the supervisor to leave.
Zoom exams will be recorded for supervision purposes.