If you cannot complete an online assessment or exam due to major technical disruptions or failures, you can apply for technical consideration.
Technical consideration is an option to apply to re-sit an exam or assessment in the event that serious and sustained technical disruptions prevent you from successfully completing and submitting your assessment.
As technical issues are not grounds for special consideration, technical consideration covers major disruptions during online assessments.
Technical consideration is intended for major technical issues that prevent you from submitting your exam. You must first contact exam support to resolve any issues within the exam time before applying for technical consideration.
Technical issues during an exam
Technical consideration is intended to cover sustained technical disruption. Not all technical issues are eligible for technical consideration.
If you suffer technical disruptions and failures during an online exam:
1. Visit the exams technical support page for support during your exam or call us.
Inside Australia: 13 6352
Outside Australia: +61 3 9035 5511
2. Make every attempt to complete your exam within your allocated time period. If the disruption is minor (brief interruptions for less than 10% of the exam time), you should continue with the exam and submit it by the exam end time – you won’t need to request technical consideration for minor technical issues. Every exam has a 30-minute submission window after the exam end time which you may use to submit your exam if you need to. This time is intended to account for minor technical issues you may experience.
3. Collect evidence of the issues you experienced. Evidence could include:
- screenshots of error messages
- photos of failed devices
- proof of contact to Stop 1, or
- evidence of an outage from your Internet Service Provider.
The University may seek to substantiate applications using its own LMS and/or Zoom technical logs and examination incident reports and records.
4. If you have experienced a major technical disruption, apply for technical consideration. The Eligibility section below will give you an idea of the types of situations which may be eligible.
Every situation is unique, and eligibility for technical consideration is determined on a case-by-case basis based on the supporting documents you provide.
|Circumstances which may be eligible||Circumstances which are not eligible|
How to apply
- Gather supporting documents as proof of the significant technical issues. These could include:
- Student Declaration
- Notes you made about your technical issues
- Evidence of outage from your Internet Service Provider
- Screenshots of error messages
- Photos of the issue
- Evidence of requesting technical support such as phone log, chat transcript or email
- Lodge your application for technical consideration via this website within three business days of the submission deadline.
Applications are not automatically approved, and each application will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Possible outcomes may include an exam re-sit during the July supplementary exam period. You will receive an outcome within five working days to your student email.