Short-term programs give you a chance to study overseas in your summer or winter breaks.
Why study a short-term program?
Short-term programs give you the opportunity to experience new cultures, develop critical employability skills and prepare for a global future – all without the long-term commitment of a semester or year-long program.
There are several benefits to undertaking a short-term program:
- Get a 3–6 week taste of overseas study
- Travel overseas during one of the University's official holiday periods
- Receive credit towards your University degree
- Have access to a range of university scholarships and funding options.
To be eligible to participate in a short-term program you must:
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress
- Be currently enrolled at the University of Melbourne, and have successfully completed a minimum of one study period and at least 37.5 credit points (undergraduate students) or one study period and at least 12.5 credit points (graduate students) before departure
- Not have an 'at risk' status at the time of application or before commencing the overseas study program.
A range of other eligibility criteria can also apply, so please see our eligibility page for full details.
There are two types of short-term programs:
- Exchange: Pay tuition fees to the University of Melbourne rather than your host institution
- Non-partner: Pay tuition fees directly to your host institution and no fees to the University of Melbourne.
All available programs, and tuition fees for each program, are listed in the Programs Database. These programs offer credit towards your University of Melbourne degree.
- Only programs listed in our Programs Database are eligible for academic credit towards University of Melbourne degrees. You may complete a program that is not listed in our Programs Database, but you will not receive academic credit for your participation.
- Don't pay any short-term overseas study fees (including tuition) until you have received University of Melbourne approval. If you are refused credit or decide to withdraw from the program, any fees you've paid may be forfeited.
Application dates and process
You need to start applying for a short-term program the semester prior to when you would like your experience to take place.
Application deadlines for short-term programs:
- Winter break: April or May the same year.
- Summer break: October or November the same year.