What to do in an emergency

If you encounter an emergency during your overseas study, it's important to know the key contacts that can help.

International emergency number: 112

In an emergency

  • Contact the local emergency services

    Please contact the local emergency services in the first instance, as they will be able to provide immediate and on-ground support.

  • Get assistance from your insurance

    Emergency assistance is also available through your insurance.

  • Contact your host institution

    Once you have completed the steps above, communicate with your host institution to let them know the situation and get assistance.

  • Contact Unimelb

    After contacting local emergency services and your host institution, please make contact with us as soon as possible. Identify yourself as a University of Melbourne student on an overseas study program (ie exchange or short-term).

    University of Melbourne emergency number: +61 3 8344 6666


If you are travelling to a designated 'risk area' and there is a crisis developing while you are there, please refer to the Smartraveller website for up-to-date information and guidelines to follow. There is also a 24-hour consular service:

Within Australia
1300 555 135
Outside Australia
+61 2 6261 3305
+61 421 269 080

Australian embassies

The Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has 100 international posts to provide consular and crisis assistance to travelling Australians.

To find the contact information for the Australian embassy at your current location, visit the Embassies and consulates overseas contact list on the DFAT website.