Security on campus - Section contents
The University provides trained security officers to help ensure you and your property are safe on campus. If something goes wrong, or doesn't seem right, help is just a phone call away.
Trained security officers patrol the Parkville campus 24 hours a day and are responsible for the safety of the University community and the security of its property. Any incidents or suspicious activity should be reported to security immediately.
- In a life threatening emergency, always dial 000 first.
- In a non-life threatening emergency, call +61 3 8344 6666 or 1800 246 066 (free call).
Security escort service
If you ever feel unsafe getting around the Parkville or Southbank campus, security officers are available to escort you to your car, public transport, taxi pick-up points, colleges or other locations on or in the near vicinity of the campus. This free service is available to all students and staff from anywhere on campus. If you intend to work late at night and know you will require assistance, try to book in advance to avoid delays. If your escort is delayed for any reason, the Security Office will contact you.
Request a security escort
This service is available 24 hours a day. To request a security escort at Parkville, call +61 3 8344 4674 or 1800 246 066 (free call).
This service is available:
- Monday to Saturday 5.00pm-11.30 pm*
- Sunday 9am-9pm*
*Excludes University holidays.
The boundaries for Southbank campus escorts are St Kilda Road, Southbank Boulevard, Dodds St, Sturt St & Grant Street.
To request a security escort at Southbank:
- Before Midday on the day you need to be escorted, email email@example.com
- In your email, include your name, student ID number, mobile phone number and where you would security to meet you (building name and a reference area).
Even if you have not requested an escort ahead of time, you can call Southbank Security on +61 3 9035 9311 for assistance at any time if you feel unsafe walking off campus.
Blue Help Phones
Blue Help Phones are an emergency contact point with Security and can be used by anyone who feels threatened, needs an immediate security response, or requires security related information. Blue Help Phones are easily distinguishable and located at various points around the Parkville campus.
- The emergency button will generate an alarm in the Security Control Room and activate CCTV cameras. A security officer will answer the call and dispatch help if required.
- The information button can be used to access security information regarding the Campus.