Before you depart your home country
Find out all you need to know before leaving your home country.
- Get your student visaUse our information to navigate the visa process.
- Book your flightsFind out about key arrival dates and tips to help you get to Melbourne.
- Find accommodationExplore the options for new-to-Melbourne students.
- Set up a bank accountOpen an Australian bank account before you leave home.
- Pack your bagsFind out what to bring with you to Australia.
- Register to attend the International Student WebinarsThese webinars are your first introduction to our thriving community.
After you arrive in Australia
Get to know our campuses and the City of Melbourne.
- Apply for the Welcome to Melbourne GrantA a one-off payment of $4,000 towards the cost of travel, quarantine and adjustment to life in Melbourne.
- Get set up in MelbourneFind out where to buy household items, groceries, bikes and more.
- Update your contact detailsMake sure we have your new contact details.
- Complete your English assessmentTake the DELA to receive a custom plan on how to enhance your academic English language skills.
- Purchase a MYKI public transport cardPublic transport is a convenient and cost-effective way to get to and from campus.
- Book a guided campus tourFind out about the University’s rich history, stunning buildings, and 21st-century facilities in a 60-minute walking tour.
- Access free international counsellingFree, confidential, professional counselling is available in English and local languages to students located outside of Australia.
- Find supportStop 1 provides specialist assistance, advice and information for international students.
- Connect with the LibraryFind essential information to connect with the Library and its services and resources.
- Develop your academic skillsRealise your potential with online modules, workshops and appointments.
Before semester starts
Finalise your enrolment, get to know the University and prepare for the start of your first semester.
- Set up Multifactor Authentication Set up Multifactor Authentication on your smartphone so you can login to the student portal and access key applications.
- Order your student card Your student card allows you to access campus, borrow from the Library, sit exams, receive concession transport discounts and more.
- Confirm your timetable View your allocated timetable and review and adjust if necessary.
- Complete the Academic Integrity module (Graduate students) Understand protocols for assignment writing and referencing to avoid plagiarism and collusion.
- Complete the Consent Matters module Adhere to University expectations for appropriate conduct in your relationships.
- Read the Student CharterKnow your responsibilities and commit to University values.
- Check if you're eligible for creditAdvanced Standing (credit for prior learning) can reduce the number of subjects you need to study.
- Manage your student account Check your student email, update your contact details, view your timetable and more.
- Check the census dates for your subjectsEvery subject you choose to study has a census date.
- Assess your study skillsTake this interactive module to get tips and discover resources to prepare you for studying.
- Attend Melbourne Orientation Get to know your Uni, your course and your cohort at Orientation!
- Attend an Intro to Uni sessionLearn about transitioning to university, explore available opportunities and build your networks.
- Budget for living while studyingEstimate your costs, plan a budget and keep track of your expenses.
- Organise transport and concessionsIf you're using public transport in Melbourne and Victoria, find out about discounts on ticket prices.
- Find accommodation Learn about University Accommodation and other housing options.
- Explore campus mapsWhen you come on campus, these digital maps will help you navigate to classrooms, libraries, and other facilities.
- Get set up to use the LibraryFind essential information to connect with the Library and its services and resources.
- Find out about student clubsThere are over 150 student clubs and societies you can choose from.
- Discover Student Equity and Disability SupportSpecialised support services while you study.
- Learn about the Safer Community ProgramPromoting a respectful and inclusive University community.
- Get support from Stop 1 Stop 1 is your first point of contact for student support.
- Complete the DELAThe Diagnostic English Language Assessment helps assess your academic language skills.
Make the most of your studies, engage with the University community and take advantage of our wide range of student services.
- Know key datesOfficial University holidays, event dates, enrolment deadlines, results dates and more.
- Know the deadlines for changing your enrolment There are four key dates to be aware of for your subjects. Check these dates in the Handbook, as they can vary.
- Access campus WiFiCampus-wide internet is available for all students. Get set up for Uni Wireless and troubleshoot common issues.
- Get tech sorted Connect to networks, set up your IT equipment, download free software and apps.
- View Canvas LMS and support guidesView subjects, submit assignments, listen to lectures and more.
- Develop your study skillsResources to improve your academic skills such as assignment writing, referencing, and exam preparation.
- Understand special considerationIf circumstances impact your ability to study, you may be eligible for support.
- Discover health servicesHealth and wellbeing services include medical, dental, eye care and mental health resources.
- Attend workshops and sessionsDevelop your skills, discover opportunities, and get support and advice on a range of topics.
- Explore leadership opportunitiesDevelop your leadership and employability skills by applying for a program or grant.
- Engage with the Melbourne Peer Mentor Program(Undergraduates)Attend all your mentoring sessions to gain tips, have fun and make memories with your group.
- Get active in sport, fitness and recreationTry out the facilities at MU Sport for free, with special passes to the gym, pool, group fitness and court hire.