About your scholarship

What you need to know once you've accepted your scholarship offer.

This information applies to undergraduate and graduate coursework students only. Graduate research students should visit the Graduate Research Hub.

The University of Melbourne offers a range of scholarships for undergraduate and graduate coursework students. Scholarships may be applied for and awarded before you start your course, or while you are enrolled.

Scholarships for coursework students usually provide a one-off payment, regular allowance payments for one or more years, or a tuition fee remission.

Scholarship benefits can only be activated once you have:

  • Accepted your scholarship offer
  • Commenced your course
  • Updated your bank details
  • Met the conditions of your scholarship (as specified in your scholarship offer).

Fore more information, see your scholarship conditions:


  • Scholarships that provide one payment or half-yearly allowance are usually paid in April or September.
  • Those with quarterly instalments are usually paid in April, June, September and November.
  • Other scholarships, such as prizes or awards, can be made throughout the year.

Payments are made via the University’s Payroll on set pay days, and will appear as a University of Melbourne salary on your bank statement.

The University does not provide payslips for scholarship payments.

If you have not received your scholarship payments, please see our FAQ: Why haven’t I received my scholarship payments?

Fee remission

Scholarships that provide a part or full fee remission, or an exemption for the HECS Student Contribution, will be activated after you have accepted your course and scholarship offer and are due to commence your course.

If you do receive a fee invoice, please submit an online enquiry to the Scholarships team or contact Stop 1. In most cases this happens because your scholarship hasn’t yet been activated or your enrolment has changed.

Please note: tuition fee remission scholarships do not cover the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). If the SSAF appears on your Statement of Liability, you are required to pay it.

Providing your bank and address details

Payments can only be made to a bank account with an authorised deposit-taking institution in Australia. You should provide or update your bank and address details as soon as possible. If we do not have your bank details, payments will be delayed. Payments will also be delayed if you provide incorrect bank details or change your bank details while your payment is being sent to you. You should review your banking details when you receive your offer.

  • How to check and update your bank details

    To check and update your bank details:

    1. Log on to my.unimelb
    2. Click on Student admin at the top of the page  and go to Financial Support
    3. Select View and update my bank account details
    4. Click Update
    5. Click Enter and save your bank details

    Please note:

    • You will need the name and six-digit BSB number of your bank. If you do not know your BSB, contact your bank.
    • The BSB and account number should only contain numbers. Do not include dashes, letters or spaces - this will cause an error which stops us processing your payment.
  • How to check and update your address details

    For information on how to check or update your address details, see how do I update my contact details?

    To avoid delays in receiving your payments, make sure:

Most scholarships provided by the University of Melbourne are equity or merit-based scholarships. Payments from these scholarships are exempt from the Centrelink income test as long as they are less than the Centrelink payment threshold. Any scholarship amounts over the threshold may affect your Centrelink payment rate.

Commonwealth scholarships, or scholarships that provide a tuition fee remission or exemption, are not considered income for Centrelink purposes.

If you have applied for or are receiving Centrelink benefits, you are obliged to notify Centrelink of any scholarships you have received. We will not do this on your behalf.

  • If you are asked for a scholarship reference number, you can fill the field with your student ID number.
  • If you are asked for evidence of your scholarship(s), you can request one by submitting an online enquiry. You will be provided with a scholarship statement including the details of your current (active) scholarships.

For further information, please refer to the Department of Human Services website.

Income tax

Scholarship payments are normally exempt from income tax, as long as:

  1. You are enrolled as a full-time student
  2. The scholarship is provided for educational purposes, and not as part of an employment agreement.

If you are enrolled part-time, we will not withhold income tax from your scholarship payments. However, you should declare your payments as assessable income in your tax return or seek independent tax advice to ensure that your individual circumstances are covered.

For more information, see:

Please note: You will not receive a PAYG Payment Summary or Group Certificate if we are not withholding income tax from your scholarship payments.

Evidence of your scholarship

Your scholarship will be included in your academic transcript and Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS), as well as your Statement of Results.

If you require a more detailed statement of your scholarships or studentship as proof of income or eligibility (e.g. for a visa, loan or course or scholarship application), you can purchase an Evidence of Scholarship Statement.

The Evidence of Scholarship Statement includes:

  • Your full name, date of birth and student ID number
  • The name, start and end date, and value of your scholarship(s).

Once you place an order, a digital copy will be sent to your student email address and the original can be mailed to you or left at Stop 1 for collection.