Get one-on-one advice

Get tailored advice by booking an appointment, or attend one of our virtual drop-in sessions on maths & stats or academic writing.

Why speak to an Academic Skills Adviser?

An adviser can help you:

• Develop skills such as academic writing, referencing, English language development, revision strategies and time management
  • Identify where you can improve
  • Discuss improvement strategies and refer you to relevant resources.
Hear what students say about their experience with individual appointments (previously itutes)

Study and learning drop-ins

Get advice from your peers on a range of topics, including:

• Maths and stats: Get help with the key maths and stats skills needed in any discipline or course. (This service has finished for 2020 and will resume in Semester 1, 2021.)
  • Refining your academic writing: Get help with the format, tone, and style of academic writing. Email: academic-writing-drop-ins@unimelb.edu.au

Find out more

Individual appointments

All currently enrolled students can make an appointment to talk to an Academic Skills Adviser for one-on-one advice.

Appointments are available all year (except University holidays) from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. They can be booked up to two weeks in advance.

Students can book a virtual appointment via video link (Zoom). If you are unable to attend a Zoom appointment, please email academic-skills@unimelb.edu.au to arrange a phone appointment.

Book an appointment

Please note:

• Have a soft copy of your work ready to email to the adviser, as well as any relevant task instructions and/or assessment criteria.
  • Appointments are limited to 25 minutes each. Students may book up to four sessions a semester, and no more than one per week. Additional appointments may be cancelled.
  • If you fail to attend an appointment, it will count as one of your four sessions.
  • Students with who have been granted special consideration (unexpected circumstances or ongoing support) or who are undertaking a research higher degree course may be able to have alternative arrangements made for them. Speak to your Student Equity and Disability Support Adviser or supervisor to find out more.

FAQs

• What can I talk to an Academic Skills Adviser about?

Anything connected to your academic work, including reading, time management, academic writing, exam preparation, language development, etc.

• What kinds of questions can I ask them?

Anything related to your academic work that is not content specific.

For example:

• “How can I develop my language skills?”
    • “Have I demonstrated my critical analysis in this paper?”
    • “How can I best prepare for my exams?”
    • “I’d like to better integrate sources into my writing. How can I go about this?”
  • What can I expect from my appointment?

Be prepared to ask specific questions about your work and consider how the strategies you learn in your appointment can be applied to other papers.

Advisers and peer mentors do not proofread writing – rather, we identify areas for development so that you can continue to develop your academic skills independently.

• Is there anything I can’t get help on?

We only work with matters directly related to your university studies.

For example, we do not offer advice related to:

• Taking an IELTS test
    • Proofreading
    • Strict time-limit exams that need to be completed within a day
    • IT questions
    • Assessment related to credit-bearing ESL subjects offered by the School of Languages & Linguistics and the Hawthorn English Language Centre.

For more information, see our Academic Skills Advising Good Practice Guidelines (PDF 131.9 KB).

• Where are appointments held and which location should I choose?

Appointments are virtual via video link (Zoom). A link address will be emailed to you before your appointment.

• I’m having trouble booking an appointment. What can I do?

Be sure you’re searching for a date within the next two weeks. Appointments are available in the system two weeks in advance, so don’t look further into the future than two weeks. Booking an appointment one week or more in advance is a good idea.

Students often cancel appointments when they get a reminder email the night before, so if you are looking for a last-minute appointment, check the booking system between 8am and 9am. There will often be appointments available somewhere for that day.

• What should I prepare for my appointment?

Have a soft copy of your work ready to email to the adviser, as well as any relevant task instructions and/or assessment criteria.

• What if I don't have a full draft paper ready?

You don’t need to have a complete piece of writing. We can talk to you at any stage of the writing process, discuss how you can improve so that you can transfer what you have learnt to the remainder of your paper and your other assignments.

• How many times can I get feedback one the same piece of work to an appointment?

You can can get feedback on the same piece of work in two appointments. This includes group work assignments.

• Can I ask my classmates or group members to join me for an appointment?

Yes. If you and a small number (three to four) of classmates or group members have similar questions, you are welcome to join together.

Please note that for group work, you cannot book more than one appointment in one week for the same assignment.

• How can I change or cancel my appointment?

You can change cancel appointments online.

In the student services appointment platform, click ‘Modify/Cancel an existing booking’.

If you intend to cancel your appointment, try to do so as you can so that another student can take your place.

Remember, you don’t need to cancel because you don’t yet have a finished draft. You don’t need to have a complete piece of writing. We can advise you at any stage of the writing process, discuss how you can improve so that you can transfer what you have learnt to the remainder of your paper and your other assignments.

• How are drop-in sessions different to individual appointments?

Drop-in sessions provide quick feedback from a peer mentor. The feedback is limited to 15 minutes and are available from Week 3 to SWOT VAC.

You don’t need to book in advance. Just email a soft copy of your work and ask specific questions, such as:

• “Does my introduction match the essay question?”
    • “I’ve drafted an essay outline – is it logical?”
    • “I’m having to write a literature review for the first time. How should I structure it?”

You can then apply what you learn to the rest of your paper.

Find out more about study and learning drop-ins