The University of Melbourne Parkville campus sits just outside the Melbourne CBD – with endless places to discover in the surrounding area.
Shop at Melbourne’s famous markets, visit the local libraries and the student-owned co-ops, and attend free events on campus and around the city.
There are plenty of ways to make the most of your time as a student in Melbourne. Read on to find out how to settle in and live like a local.
Setting up house
When moving into a new home, the general rule is that you pay your first month's rent in advance plus the equivalent of one month's rent as bond. You may also need to pay for utilities connection, furniture and household goods.
Compare the different energy providers with the Victorian Government energy price comparison tool.
Furniture and homewares
The following superstores are within a 5km radius of the Parkville campus and offer affordable basics for the home:
Bike and public transport options
Melbourne is renowned for its variety of public transport options including trams, buses and trains. Visit Public Transport Victoria or download the PTV app to plan your journey.
Get where you need to go and stay active at the same time with the low-cost option of cycling. Many of Melbourne’s roads include bike lanes and paths to cater for the city’s growing population of cycling enthusiasts.
Local places to buy a bike and helmet include:
- Unibicycles - the on-campus bike shop
- Gumtree - the online site for second-hand goods
- Velo Cycles - offering a range of different bikes for sale in North Carlton
Melbourne also has bike sharing stations in the CBD.
For information on road rules, maps and bike friendly communities visit the Bicycle Network website.
Eating and drinking
Parkville campus is a short walk from a number of popular eat streets including Lygon Street in Carlton and Smith Street in nearby Fitzroy – not to mention China Town in the CBD and the Queen Victoria Markets. But there are many other options to quench your thirst or satisfy a hungry stomach:
- ALDI, 501 Swanston St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Woolworths, Lygon Court, 368-380 Lygon St, Carlton VIC 3053
- IGA X-press, 75 Flemington Rd, North Melbourne VIC 3051
- Hometown Asian Supermarket, 2/422-440 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
Restaurants and cafes
- Italian food, Lygon St, Carlton
- Humble Rays, 71 Bouverie St, Carlton VIC 3053
- Stovetop, 1/108-128 Leicester St, Carlton VIC 3053
- Seven Seeds Specialty Coffee, 114 Berkeley St, Carlton VIC 3053
- The Hardware Societe, 118 to 120 and, 123 Hardware St, Melbourne VIC 3000
Safer Community Program
The University's Safer Community Program promotes a respectful, inclusive, and connected campus community, and provides support and advice to members of the University of Melbourne community about inappropriate, concerning or threatening behaviour.
Project Study Safe
Project Study Safe is a partnership between Crime Stoppers Victoria (CSV) and Study Melbourne, aiming to improve safety for the international student community in Victoria. It offers useful information about how to stay safe while you study, and where to find help when you need it.