Canadian Financial Aid

Canadian citizens wishing to study at The University of Melbourne can access a range of student financial aid delivered through federal and provincial funding programs.

The University of Melbourne does not calculate eligibility for financial aid for Canadian students seeking financial aid; those decisions are made by the granting body.

We advise that you check the amount of funding available to you prior to commencement of their studies. It is your responsibility to ensure you can cover the cost of tuition and living expenses for the full duration of your studies.

Federal Student Loans/Canada Student Loans

Federal Student Loans are interest-free student loans for full-time study.

  • The Canadian government will pay the interest on these loans while you are studying.
  • You must confirm your student status at the end of each Canadian academic year.
  • Repayment begins six months after you have stopped being a full-time student. Interest on your loan accrues from that time.

To be eligible for a Federal Student Loan, you must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • Reside in a province/territory that issues Canada Student Loans
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Maintain satisfactory academic standards
  • Be enrolled in at least 60% of a full-time study load in a degree, diploma or certificate program.

Please visit the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) for further information.

Provincial Loans

In addition to a Federal Student Loan, you may also be eligible for a full-time student loan from the province or territory where you live.

Eligibility for both federal and provincial loans is assessed using a single application form, but each program may have different requirements.

Provincial loans vary by province. For details specific to your province, please contact your provincial student financial assistance office. Please note that residents of Ontario will receive only one loan when they apply for federal and provincial student loan funding.

How to apply

In most cases, applying to your province will cover both provincial and federal funding.

We recommend that you apply early for your funding, as avoiding peak processing times will make your application time shorter. For example, if you are planning to commence your studies in Semester One, we recommend applying in November or December of the previous year.


Certification of Enrolment

You will be sent this form directly by the Canadian government.

If applicable, you'll need to:

  1. Complete and sign the student/borrower sections
  2. Leave all sections to be completed by the educational institution blank
  3. Send the form to us so we can complete these sections. You can submit the form to us through an online enquiry (please ensure you include your student number in this correspondence) or in person at Stop 1.

We will then return the form to the Canadian government and will send you a copy.

You will need to allow at least three working days for the completion of any documentation requiring certification.

Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA)

If you wish to claim educational expenses from your Canadian taxes, the CRA will request that you submit a ‘TL11A Tuition Education & Textbook Amounts Certificate – University Outside Canada’ form.

Eligible students can request this form by submitting an online enquiry. Please include the following information:

  • Student ID number
  • Current postal address
  • Year/s required.

An electronic copy of the form will be emailed to you and the original will be sent via postal mail to the address you provide.

More information

  • For further details on available financial assistance programs, contact the relevant government agency in your home country.
  • For information on how these programs work at the University of Melbourne, contact our International Financial Aid team.