If you're an elite athlete or performer and your commitments will have an impact on your studies, you may be eligible to Register for ongoing support for your studies.
Are you an elite athlete waiting on an application or an appointment?
Check these steps for registration.
If you are an elite athlete, make sure you are registered with MU sport first, submit your application for ongoing support (instructions below) and then complete this short form with your availability and contact details for an appointment.
Who is eligible?
To be considered an elite athlete, you must be associated with one of the following organisations:
- Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) (or state-level institutes or academies of sport)
- AFL Players’ Association
- Rugby Union Players’ Association (RUPA)
- Rugby League Professionals’ Association (RLPA)
- Professional Footballers’ Australia (PFA)
- Australian Cricketers’ Association
- Australian Sports Commission (ASC) supported sports (state or national squad/league members).
You must also have been granted Elite Athlete Recognition through the Melbourne University Sport Elite Athlete Program.
To be considered an elite performer, you must be a performing artist with one of the following organisations:
- Australian Dance Theatre
- Actors Equity Australia
- Australian Dance Council (Ausdance)
- Australian Chamber Orchestra
- Symphony Services International
- Melbourne Theatre Company
- Opera Australia
- Victorian Opera
- Musica Viva
Types of support available
The University may make education adjustments to your studies to help offset any disadvantage you might face without them.
Education adjustments (sometimes referred to as equitable adjustments) are changes to how subjects are taught and assessed.
Adjustments are made on a case-by-case basis, and may include:
- Alternative exam arrangements
- Extensions to assignments
- Flexibility in attendance requirements.
Once you have applied for support, one of our Student Equity Advisers will work with you to create an Academic Adjustment Plan (AAP) based on your needs.
How to register
Registration for ongoing support is voluntary. You can register at any time during your studies. However, we recommend registration when enrolling in your course to allow for appropriate education adjustments to be accommodated by your academics and other support staff.
Once you have been granted Elite Athlete Recognition through the Melbourne University Sport Elite Athlete Program, you can provide us with your completed Elite Athlete Recognition form as supporting documentation for your registration.
It is your responsibility to contact Melbourne University Sport to complete this form and other necessary forms for the Elite Athlete Program. You can contact Melbourne University Sport using the following details:
Please provide a letter on the official letterhead of your performance organisation which outlines your professional obligations as an elite performer. The letter must be written and signed by your director, manager or a similar person of authority from one of the recognised institutions listed above.
These resources may also be helpful to students who are elite athletes or performers.
- Melbourne University Sport
Melbourne University Sport manages the fitness, sports and recreation facilities, programmes and activities of the University.
- Standards for equity services
Information about student equity and disability service standards at the University of Melbourne for students, staff, and the wider University community.
Why we collect your personal information
SEDS is collecting and processing your personal information for one or more of the following:
- To determine eligibility for Special consideration and/or Registration for ongoing supports
- Inform available outcomes available for Special consideration
- Develop and implement Academic Adjustment Plans (AAPs) when registering for ongoing support including alternative exam arrangements and accessibility supports
- Inform reporting and planning activities including for government funding reporting requirements, and to improve student services in relation to Special consideration and Registration for ongoing supports (non-identifying information only).
How we process your personal information
We will process your personal information as necessary for our legitimate interests, in accordance with applicable privacy laws, and only under the following circumstances:
- For the purpose for which it was collected; or
- A related purpose which you might reasonably expect; or
- Where you have consented to the processing; or
- If we are required or permitted to do so by law.
We collect your personal information directly from you. In some cases, we source some information (e.g., your subject enrolment details and results) from the University’s student database, and if required we will validate curriculum and assessment details with the relevant faculty.
We will only share your personal information with the University of Melbourne staff members who are directly involved in the assessment of your application and in determining the appropriate outcomes. The information may also be made available to authorised staff in your Faculty to aid in determining special consideration outcomes, and also with the centrally organised exams team when it involves alternative exam arrangements (AEAs) including accessibility adjustments when registered for ongoing support.
Where relevant, sharing of your Academic Adjustment Plan (AAP) with others such as academic staff will be done with your consent. If you choose not to share your AAP, this may limit what adjustments can be made.
There may be some instances where your personal information may be transferred outside of Victoria or Australia (for example, where providers are located internationally or use a cloud-based system with servers based in international jurisdictions). We take all reasonable steps to ensure that the interstate or overseas transfer of personal information is in accordance with our privacy obligations as outlined in the University’s General Privacy Statement.
If you choose not to provide requested information, it may mean that your application is deemed ineligible and/or cannot be approved and implemented by SEDS, Academic Divisions or other services or programs at the University.
Further privacy information
- Our lawful basis for processing personal information;
- Collection, use and disclosure of personal information;
- Accuracy, security and storage of personal information;
- Retention and disposal of personal information;
- Your individual rights; and
- Applicable privacy laws.
You may request access to, or correction of, your personal information we hold, or exercise your individual rights as applicable under relevant privacy laws, unless this would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others or would contravene the University’s other legislative obligations.
If the lawful collection of your personal information is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of our processing of your information prior to you withdrawing your consent.
For further information you can contact us at Equity and Disability Support firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: Wednesday 16 August 2023
If you still have questions relating to ongoing support for elite athletes or performers, please contact Stop 1.