Health, physical and or mental support

If you have a chronic or permanent health condition (physical and/or mental health), you may be eligible to Register for ongoing support for your studies.

Are you waiting on an application or an appointment?

Due to an extremely high volume of applications, there may be a short waiting time for an appointment. We understand that you are wanting an outcome as soon as possible and we are working hard to reduce your wait time. We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your cooperation.

Who is eligible?

If you experience chronic health conditions (physical and/or mental health) which impact on your studies for an expected duration of six weeks or more, you are eligible to register.

Examples of a chronic physical health condition may include broken bones or long-term illness.

Examples of mental health conditions include mood disorders (such as depression or bipolar disorder), anxiety disorders, stress-induced disorders, personality disorders or eating disorders. For more information on types of mental health conditions, see the Healthdirect website.

Types of support available

The University may make educational adjustments to your studies to help offset any disadvantage you might face without them.

Educational adjustments (sometimes referred to as equitable adjustments) are changes to how subjects are taught and assessed.

Adjustments are made on a case-by-case basis, and may include:

  • Alternative exam arrangements (AEAs)
  • Assistance from an academic support worker (ASW)
  • Equipment loans
  • Assistive technology
  • Accessible formatting of course reading materials
  • Extensions to assignments
  • Flexibility in attendance requirements
  • Accessible teaching spaces and ergonomic furniture.

Once you have registered for support, one of our Student Equitable Learning Advisers will work with you to create an Academic Adjustment Plan (AAP) based on your needs.

How to register

Registration for ongoing support is voluntary. You can register at any time during your studies, however, we recommend registration when enrolling in your course to allow for appropriate adjustments to be accommodated by your academics and other support staff.


Supporting documentation

  • A Health Professional Report form (PDF 136.8 KB) is our preferred document for applications made on medical or psychological grounds. It can be completed by a range of healthcare and allied professionals (such as medical doctors and psychologists).
  • A medical certificate or supporting letter on official letterhead from a treating health practitioner is also acceptable.

If your supporting documentation is provided by an overseas practitioner and not available in English, you'll need to provide a NAATI-accredited translated copy.

The following forms of documentation will not be accepted:

  • Medical test results
  • Photos of your medication or injury
  • Letters of reference or support from University or College staff (other than Health Service or Counselling and Psychological Services staff).

Useful resources

These University services may also be helpful to students with a health condition (physical and/or mental health).

  • Health Service
    The University of Melbourne Health Service offers health care for all currently enrolled students. Staff are experienced medical doctors, psychologists, and nurses, with a depth of knowledge relevant to student medical issues.
  • Counselling and Psychological Services
    The University of Melbourne Counselling and Psychological Services provides free, confidential, short-term professional counselling to currently enrolled students.
  • Standards for equity support
    Information about student equity and disability support standards at the University of Melbourne for students, staff, and the wider University community.

Need help?

If you still have questions relating to ongoing support for a medical or mental health condition, please contact Stop 1.