As an LGBTIQA+ student, you are a valued and vibrant part of the University of Melbourne. Many destinations will be as accepting (or more) of different sexual and gender identities, but unfortunately there are also destinations where laws, customs and attitudes towards you will be very different.
Seeking information about a host destination or institution's attitudes towards LGBTIQA+ students can help you choose an appropriate overseas study program and prepare you for the differences that you might encounter there. Awareness of the cultural, legal and social issues abroad, and how they could affect your interactions while overseas, are important considerations when doing research. You can also find and connect with LGBTIQA+ communities in your host destination to ensure you have a supportive network around you during your experience.
- University of Melbourne Counselling and Psychological Services – LGBTIQA+ counselling and support.
- UMSU Queer Department – student-run queer community on campus.
- LGBTI travellers – Lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex travellers
- Twenty10 – free support, information and referrals for LGBTIQA+ people.
- QLife – telephone and web-based counselling and referral service (1800 184 527).
- Minus18 – youth driven network for LGBTQIA+ youth.
- The Global Society – peer sourced information and guides.