Get accepted by your host

Finalise your application when you receive your host acceptance letter.

Have you already started an application? Log back in

How to submit your host acceptance letter

Once you are accepted by your host institution, you'll need to to notify the University of Melbourne by submitting your host acceptance correspondence, including your name and program dates:

  1. Please submit an enquiry to the Global Learning team
  2. In the subject write 'Acceptance – short-term program’
  3. Attach a copy of your host acceptance letter

What happens next

Once we receive your host institution acceptance letter, you will be provided with the following:

1. University of Melbourne official acceptance letter

This will confirm your participation in your overseas study program and can be used for Centrelink and Visa purposes as proof of your study.

2. The University of Melbourne’s free travel insurance

The University offers free, full coverage travel insurance to students who are travelling overseas for approved University programs.

The University insurance will provide cover for any incidental personal travel declared in your itinerary table one week before the first day of orientation up until the end of one week after your final day of assessment. Please remember that if your trip extends beyond these dates, you will need to arrange alternative cover at your own expense for the remaining days either side. For more details, please see our travel insurance page.

For short-term program students, you are not required to submit a separate application for travel insurance, you will be automatically covered once the University receives your host acceptance documentation.

You should:

Travelling to high-risk destinations

You are not permitted to travel to a country for which the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued an alert level of ‘do not travel’ or ‘reconsider your need to travel’, unless you have gained special permission from the Registrar. More information on how to apply for an exemption is available on our Travel to high risk countries for study FAQ.

3. Placeholder subject enrolment

In order to receive credit towards your University of Melbourne degree, you will need to have your overseas study enrolled as a ‘placeholder’ subject on your University of Melbourne study plan (different from your overseas study plan). Once we receive your host institution acceptance, you will receive a placeholder clarification request via email. Respond to this request to be enrolled into the relevant placeholder subject.

Ensure you are correctly enrolled

Before leaving for your overseas study program, check your enrolment via my.unimelb to ensure you're enrolled into your placeholder subjects. If you can't see your enrolment, please contact Stop 1 immediately.

What's next?

Step 6: Get ready to go