When you enter Australia on a student visa before your 18th birthday, you must have appropriate accommodation, support and welfare arrangements in place as required by the Department of Home Affairs.
If you are under the age of 18 and wish to study online from your home country and are unable to travel to Australia, you do not need to apply for a student visa. This means that you do not require your accommodation and welfare arrangements to be approved by the University while you are offshore, and you may move on to Step 2: Accept your offer. This is a temporary arrangement until travel to Australia is possible.
When travel restrictions have been lifted, you will be required to apply for appropriate accommodation and welfare for your Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) to be issued so you can apply for your visa to commence your studies in Australia. This includes notifying the University of the date you intend to arrive in Australia.
When coming to Australia, your options include:
Living with a parent, guardian, or relative
If you intend to live with a parent, guardian or an eligible relative while studying, you will need to apply to the Australian Government to have this approved.
This person will require a valid visa to stay with you in Australia, and must:
- Have enough money to support you and themselves during their stay
- Be able to provide accommodation and other support
- Be at least 21 years of age.
Visit the Department of Home Affairs website for further information on welfare arrangements for international students under 18, as well as information on the Student Guardian visa.
Types of University-approved accommodation
The University provides an accommodation guarantee for all under 18 international students in university owned or partnered accommodation.
One of your housing choices is University Accommodation, which provides trusted accommodation residences for students under and over 18. If you’re an under 18 student, you will be placed in either Lisa Bellear House or UniLodge Lincoln House - both are pre-approved by the University. The accommodation must be available on or before the date you arrive in Australia. To apply for University Accommodation, follow the instructions on the University Accommodation page.
If you would like a residential college experience, then please apply for International House.
Other student-only accommodation
The following accommodation providers are all pre-approved by the University of Melbourne. You will need to apply directly to these providers and then upload evidence of your living arrangements (eg a contract or lease) when you submit your application to the Under 18 Program and accept your offer.
- Atira La Trobe
- dwell Village Melbourne City
- Journal Uni Place
- Student Village: University of Melbourne
- UniLodge College Square on Swanston
- UniLodge Royal Melbourne
- Urbanest Carlton - Buildings 1 and 2
- Urbanest Swanston St
Please note that specific lease agreements and fees will vary between providers.
You may choose to live in a homestay arrangement.
If you do, the University must inspect and approve your intended accommodation. Your proposed accommodation must meet the following conditions:
- Your parent (or legal guardian) must approve the proposed arrangements
- There must be a responsible adult aged 21 years or over living in the household
- All adults in the household must hold a current Working with Children Check
- The housing must be located within a reasonable distance to campus. Travel time to campus should not exceed 35-40 minutes, and you must be able to travel safely between campus and home.
Once your University-approved accommodation is confirmed
- Receive an accommodation confirmation letter.
- Pay the administration fee and weekly fees for the Under 18 International Student Supervision Program.
- Notify us of your accommodation arrangements, and provide us with your accommodation confirmation letter, when you accept your offer.