Personal accident insurance

Personal accident insurance covers the University of Melbourne, all affiliated bodies and any corporation owned by the institution if they are injured in an accident.

The University's personal accident insurance includes the following categories of injured persons:

  • University employees and governing body, honorary research fellows;
  • full and/or part time students;
  • affiliated members of Melbourne University Sport, and;
  • non-University of Melbourne students who live at University of Melbourne colleges and participate in University of Melbourne affiliated club competitions.

Scope of cover

It applies 24 hours per day, while on business or for direct travel to and from such activities.

As the recipient of medical treatment, the insured person should pay the medical account first.

There's two types of medical accounts: Medicare items or Non-Medicare expenses.

See the policy wording (PDF 1.2 MB) for complete details of the cover provided.

  • Medicare items

    If you're an Australian resident, you can claim against Medicare and cannot claim against the University personal accident insurance policy. You can seek treatment from a bulk-billing doctor to avoid any out-of-pocket costs.

    Note: Medicare items can include a doctor’s consultation, surgeon’s fee or an x-ray. You should check with Medicare for clarification.

  • Non-Medicare medical expenses

    If you're an overseas student, you can claim against your OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) policy, purchased as part of your Visa requirements.

    Hospital and ancillary expenses can be claimed against the University personal accident insurance subject to the following conditions:

    • Cover is only available after you have first claimed against their own private health insurance cover (where applicable)
    • A $100 excess will be deducted from the claim payment to your nominated bank account.

    The excess is a one-time cost, per injury, regardless of medical costs incurred.

    Note: This policy can only cover the your eligible expenses up to 12 months from the injury date.

    For example, if you delay your rehabilitation, any expenses incurred beyond the first 12 months after your injury date cannot be claimed for.

Claims process

  1. Check the personal accident insurance policy schedule to ensure your costs are within the limits and above the excess applicable.
  2. Once confirmed, complete the personal accident insurance claim form.
  3. Submit your claim form as soon as possible (even if partially complete) so the claims assessor can review against the policy wording and schedule. You may include any queries in your email to the claims assessor.