Staying in Australia

Once you complete your studies, you may want to spend some time in Australia, whether for a holiday, to live and work, or to pursue further study.

When you must depart the country

If you complete the course for which your visa was granted, you will have three months to depart Australia or apply for another visa. The Department of Home Affairs website has more information on when you need to depart after completing the course for which your student visa was granted.

Graduate researchers are also entitled to remain in Australia during their thesis marking period (if their visa is still valid).

You must have a valid visa to stay in Australia. It is important to know when your visa expires so you can take action to remain lawfully in Australia. Please see the Department of Home Affairs website for more information.

Applying for a new visa

Using a registered migration agent

The University of Melbourne can only provide advice about how changes to your enrolment may affect your student visa.

If you need to apply for a new visa after completing your course, you can engage a registered migration agent to assist you. Legally, only registered migration agents can provide immigration advice and assistance.

The University does not recommend any particular agents. It is good to do some research, look at the migration agent's website and call them for a quote.

Lawyers who are accredited immigration law specialists are the most qualified agents. You can find the list on the Law Institute website.

For information on the various visa types and eligibility, please see the Department of Home Affairs website.

Visa types

Prior to engaging with a registered migration agent, you may want to do some research of your own. Different types of visas may be available to you depending on how long you wish to spend in Australia and what you'd like to do while you're here. Use the Department of Home Affairs Visa Finder as a guide for information.

If you need to return to Australia to attend your graduation ceremony or to holiday, you can generally make an application for a visitor visa. A visitor visa does not allow you to work.

The Australian government has updated information regarding student visas during the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, see our visa FAQs.