Visas for student research visitors

Information for students enrolled at an overseas institution who wish to do a period of research related to their study at the University of Melbourne.

Coming for more than three months

If you’re completing a graduate research degree at your home university, and you want to come to the University of Melbourne to undertake research for a period of between three months and two years, you may be able to come as an Exchange or Study Abroad research student.

Students enrolling in an Exchange or Study Abroad program can apply for a Student Visa (subclass 500) in the Non Award Sector stream after admission. Non-award means that your time with us will not lead to an Australian qualification. You should indicate “non-award” at the start of your student visa application, as this sector receives priority processing.

For information on how to apply for an Exchange or Study Abroad program, see our Exchange and Study Abroad research program page. If your application to study is successful, you'll be provided with a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and further advice on your visa application during enrolment.

Coming for less than three months

Students wishing to visit for less than three months to undertake research for their course may be able to apply for a visitor visa.

Please contact the nearest Australian high commission or embassy to confirm that the visitor visa is appropriate for your visit.

Recent graduates

If you have recently graduated from a foreign education institution and wish to come to the University of Melbourne to undertake research that is closely related to the course you were enrolled in, you may be able to apply for a Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408) in the research stream.

To qualify, you must:

  • be a PhD or masters-qualified researcher
  • not be employed by an education or research institution in your home country
  • have been awarded a graduate research fellowship
  • be coming to Australia to conduct research in a field closely related to your studies
  • apply for the visa less than 12 months after your graduation.

You will also need to be supervised by someone in a senior academic position who has formally invited you to participate in research activities at the University of Melbourne.

Your supervisor will need to provide you with a formal invitation letter and a University of Melbourne Temporary Activity Sponsorship letter before you can apply for this visa.

Insurance, accommodation and costs

The Australian government has updated information regarding student visas during the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, see our visa FAQs.