Students may be eligible for income support and other benefits from Centrelink.
Centrelink is a government organisation that provides financial assistance to eligible students.
Payments that students may be eligible for include:
- Youth Allowance: for students under 25
- Austudy: for students over 25
- ABSTUDY: for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students of any age
- Jobseeker: for students over 22 and looking for work.
Important information for masters students
See the Student Assistance (Education Institutions and Courses) Determination 2019 to find out if your University of Melbourne masters course is approved for a Centrelink student payment.
Centrelink also provide other benefits to eligible students, including the:
- Education Entry Payment
- Pensioner Education Supplement
- Student Start-up Loan
- Relocation Scholarship
- Rent Assistance
- Low Income Health Care Card
To find out more about available payment types, see the Centrelink students and trainees website.
Still not sure?
To talk about Centrelink or anything else related to your finances, please book an appointment with a Financial Aid Adviser.