Disability services

If you're a student with disability, you may be eligible for ongoing support with your studies.

Who is eligible?

The University of Melbourne recognises disability in accordance with the Disability Discrimination Act 1992.

Under this Act, disability is defined as a physical, mental or medical condition or circumstance that requires ongoing support or study adjustments. This includes conditions that currently exist, previously existed or may exist in the future.

Disability, in relation to a person, can mean:

  • Total or partial loss of the person's bodily or mental functions
  • Total or partial loss of a part of the body
  • The presence in the body of organisms causing disease or illness
  • The presence in the body of organisms capable of causing disease or illness
  • The malfunction, malformation or disfigurement of a part of the person’s body
  • A disorder or malfunction that results in the person learning differently from a person without the disorder or malfunction
  • A disorder, illness or disease that affects a person’s thought processes, perception of reality, emotions or judgement or that results in disturbed behaviour.

Because every situation is unique, eligibility for ongoing support is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Types of support available

The University may make educational adjustments to your studies to help offset any disadvantage you might face without them.

Educational adjustments (sometimes referred to as equitable adjustments) are changes to how subjects are taught and assessed.

Adjustments are made on a case-by-case basis, and may include:

  • Alternative exam arrangements (AEAs)
  • Assistance from an academic support worker (ASW)
  • Equipment loans
  • Assistive technology
  • Accessible formatting of course reading materials
  • Extensions to assignments
  • Flexibility in attendance requirements
  • Accessible teaching spaces and ergonomic furniture.

Once you have registered for support, one of our Student Equitable Learning Advisers will work with you to create an Academic Adjustment Plan (AAP) based on your needs.

How to register

Registration for ongoing support is voluntary. You can register at any time during your studies, however, we recommend registration when enrolling in your course to allow for timely and relevant adjustments to be accommodated by your academics and other support staff.

You have the right to disclose to Student Equity and Disability Services (SEDS) only the information you feel comfortable to release. You can limit the information you provide SEDS or choose not to provide consent to share information, although this may restrict the University's capacity to provide educational adjustments.


Supporting documentation

  • A Health Professional Report form (PDF 136.8 KB) is our preferred document for applications made on medical or psychological grounds. It can be completed by a range of healthcare and allied professionals (such as medical doctors and psychologists).
  • A medical certificate or supporting letter on official letterhead from a treating health practitioner is also acceptable.

If your supporting documentation is provided by an overseas practitioner and not available in English, you'll need to provide a NAATI-accredited translated copy.

The following forms of documentation will not be accepted:

  • Medical test results
  • Photos of your medication or injury
  • Letters of reference or support from University or College staff (other than Health Service or Counselling and Psychological Services staff).

Useful resources

These University services may also be helpful to students with disability.

Need help?

If you still have questions relating to disability services or ongoing support, please contact Stop 1.