Cross-institutional study

If you are interested in undertaking a subject that isn’t offered at the University of Melbourne, it may be possible for you to complete this subject at another university and have it count toward your current degree.

To undertake cross-institutional study, the subject you choose must be directly related to your study and be appropriate to your qualification. Approval will not be given if you want to take a subject that is closely equivalent to a University of Melbourne subject, unless exceptional reasons exist (for example an unplanned, short-term work transfer interstate). Approval will not be granted to University of Melbourne students studying the Juris Doctor for any reason.

  • Outgoing University of Melbourne students

    What are the guidelines for cross-institutional study?

    If you are a University of Melbourne student , you must meet the following requirements to be considered for cross-institutional study.

    You must:

    • Maintained a strong academic record (normally 65% average)
    • Have completed at least one full-time semester of study at the University of Melbourne
    • Have appropriate subject content and expectations in terms of contact hours, assessment requirements and graduate outcomes
    • Have a sound academic reason for enrolling in the subject.

    You are permitted to enrol in up to the equivalent of 100 points of study at another institution providing you meet the necessary requirements.

    Note: Capstone subjects are not to be taken cross-institutionally.

    How do I apply?

    Applications for cross-institutional study must be submitted four weeks before the beginning of the teaching period.

    1. Gather supporting documents
      • Ensure you have an official description of the subject you wish to take. For example, a screen shot of a handbook entry of the subject(s).
      • Provide a statement explaining your reasons to request cross-institutional study.
    2. Seek academic approval

      Undergraduate students (excluding Bachelor of Science students): Obtain written approval from the Coordinator of the relevant major (as stated in the Handbook) or the Director of the degree for breadth study.

      Bachelor of Science students: Please submit your application for any subjects without approval, staff will appropriately direct your application to seek approval. Please advise if you are seeking approval for a subject to count towards your major.

      Graduate coursework students: Obtain written approval from your Course Coordinator. Academic approvals should be presented in the form of a letter/email and must confirm the following:

      • Subject/s applied for are deemed to be of an equivalent academic standard to subjects taught at the University of Melbourne. Please note: the Course Coordinator should also indicate the credit points to be awarded upon successful completion of each approved subject.
      • Similar subjects to those you’ve applied for are not available at the University of Melbourne (this may be waived if you’re requesting to study interstate under exceptional circumstances).
    3. Submit a Cross-Institutional Enrolment Application
    4. Submit your supporting documents via an online enquiry:
      • Label your enquiry as "[Student number] - Cross institutional outgoing application - Supporting document"
      • Include supporting documents as outlined in Steps 1 and 2.

    In all cases, you will need to apply to and complete the enrolment requirements at the other institution.


    If you are a Commonwealth Supported Student at the University of Melbourne, you may be eligible to study as a Commonwealth Supported student at the other Australian university also. Note that if you are offered a Commonwealth supported place at another institution, you will be required to complete a separate 'Request for Commonwealth Support' form.

    If you are a FEE-HELP student at the University of Melbourne, you will be eligible to undertake any complementary subjects under FEE-HELP (subject to your FEE-HELP limit). Note that you will be required to complete a second FEE- HELP application form for the other institution.

    If you are required, as part of your course, to take a subject offered by another Australian university, and you are a Commonwealth Supported student at the University of Melbourne, then you will be eligible to take this subject as a Commonwealth Supported student at the other institution.

  • Incoming Non-University of Melbourne students

    What are the guidelines for cross-institutional study?

    If you are not a University of Melbourne student and are thinking of undertaking cross-institutional study at the University of Melbourne, you must:

    • Be currently enrolled in a degree course at an Australian university
    • Have a strong academic record (for example, at least 65% average or equivalent at your home institution)
    • Receive approval from your home university
    • Receive approval from the University of Melbourne subject coordinator, except in the following cases:
      • Undergraduate quota subjects offered by the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences (MDHS). Visit the MDHS quota subjects page to find out more about how to apply.
      • Graduate Law subjects. Visit the Melbourne Law School single subjects page for more information.
      • All applicants will need to refer to the Handbook in the first instance to search for subjects.

    Please note:

    • Other eligibility criteria may apply to the subject(s) for which you wish to apply. Approval for a cross-institutional study enrolment is at the discretion of the relevant teaching faculty or graduate school.
    • Some subjects are not available through cross-institutional study.
    • Some subjects may have quota restrictions and therefore limited availability for cross-institutional study. Quota subjects may also have earlier application deadlines.
    • Where possible, incoming cross-institutional study students will be enrolled on the same fee basis as their current enrolment at their home institution.
    • Incoming cross-institutional study students are subject to the University of Melbourne's Student Fees and Charges Policy.
    • The University will issue fee invoices directly to the student and is unable to administer sponsorship for incoming cross-institutional study students.

    How do I apply?

    If you are from another Australian university and would like to study a subject/s at the University of Melbourne, you must apply online using the University's Online Application System by the appropriate deadline.

    Alternatively, if you are a student from a university overseas considering study at the University of Melbourne, you must apply as an Exchange or Study Abroad student. To find out more please see visit Melbourne on Exchange or Study Abroad.

    Note: Applications for the following academic year will only open once the University Handbook for the relevant year is available.

    Only applications for 2021 intakes are currently being accepted. Please note that applications for 2022 can only be submitted once the handbook opens in November 2021, and applicants are advised to wait until they are able to check the 2022 subject availability in the handbook before applying.

    Course codes

    Please select the level of the subjects you are applying for (as listed in the subject Handbook entry).

    Course level Course code
    Undergraduate XC-UG
    Postgraduate XC-PG

    Which study period should I apply for?

    You must check the handbook entry for each subject you are interested in and use the study period of the subject with the earliest teaching period start date. This information is listed under the dates and times in the Handbook entry for each subject, and it is very important to check this section for each subject you apply for, to ensure you apply for the correct study period and are aware of the teaching dates and availability.

    Application closing dates

    Application closing dates for common study periods in 2021 are:

    Semester Teaching period* Application closing date ~ Late closing date ^
    Summer Term 20201               4 January – 28 February 2021                4 January 2021 7 January 2021
    Semester 1 2021                   1 March – 30 May 2021 13 February 2021 1 March 2021
    Autumn 13 March – 31 May 2021 28 February 2021 13 March 2021
    Winter 1 June – 11 July 2021 18 May 2021 1 June 2021
    Semester 2 2021                  26 July – 24 October 2021 19 July 2021 26 July 2021
    Spring 9 August – 30 November 2021 26 July 2021 9 August 2021

    *Assessments may still take place after the teaching period is finished.
    ~Quota subjects may have earlier closing dates, refer to the relevant subject entry in the Handbook for details.
    ^Late applications will be considered on a case by case basis. If your application is accepted, we will endeavour to provide an outcome by the end of week 2 of Semester. We strongly recommend attending classes (on the assumption that your application will be successful), until you receive your official outcome.

    Other study periods

    For subjects with different teaching periods, the application closing date is two weeks before the start of teaching.

    Continuing cross-institutional study

    If you wish to continue your cross-institutional studies and complete further subjects in future intakes you will need to submit a new online application for those subjects. You will be able to enrol in additional subjects only after your new application has been assessed and an offer has been issued.

More information