Requisite waivers

A requisite waiver allows you to undertake a subject without having completed the recommended prerequisite study, granted you have completed study in a related area.

What is a prerequisite subject?

A prerequisite is a subject you have to complete before you can enrol in a more advanced subject. If a subject has prerequisites it will be to ensure that you have sufficient background knowledge to cope with the subject’s content.

Prerequisite study may include:

  • VCE subjects, including those that have been taken as part of an International Baccalaureate
  • A High School Certificate
  • A relevant overseas qualification such as GCE A Levels, or other tertiary studies.

Find out more about prerequisites and corequisites

How do I check subject prerequisites?

Every subject page in the University Handbook contains information about any required prerequisites and also lists contact details of the subject coordinator.

What if I haven’t completed a prerequisite?

If you haven’t completed a required prerequisite, you will not be permitted to enrol in the subject.

However, if you have completed studies similar to the prerequisite and those studies are not listed, you may be able to have the required or recommended prerequisites waived*, allowing you to enrol in the subject.

In order to do this you will need to get the Subject Coordinator’s permission to enrol and, if successful, submit an Enrolment Variation form to allow the system to manually enrol you in the subject.

*Requisite waivers are not permitted for subjects taught by the Faculty of Business and Economics. If you do not meet the prerequisite, you are not permitted to take the subject. You must either complete the prerequisite first, or choose a different subject (if it is an elective).

Non-VCE subject prerequisites

If the enrolment system does not recognise your VCE or equivalent secondary studies as meeting prerequisites for a particular subject, you will need to use the Enrolment Variation form to request assistance.

Check the table below to see if your prerequisite subjects are automatically approved:

Year 12 (or equivalent) qualification Level 1 (First year) subject prerequisites approved
Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) Usually approved automatically by the enrolment system
Year 12 studies in an Australian state outside Victoria Usually approved automatically by the enrolment system
International Baccalaureate (IB) Only Level 1 Languages, Maths and Science subjects are automatically approved by the enrolment system
Other (e.g. Trinity Foundation Studies, GCE A Levels) Not automatically approved  

For instructions on how to get non-VCE subject prerequisites approved, visit our Non-VCE subject prerequisites FAQ.

Overseas study

If you completed a prerequisite for a University of Melbourne subject at an overseas institution through an Exchange or Fee-paying program, you can submit an ask.unimelb enquiry for Stop 1 to process your requisite waiver.

Select the topic ‘Overseas Study’, and sub-topic ‘Enrolment and Credit for Overseas Study’. You will need to attach a Statement of Results from the host institution, and indicate the subject you completed overseas, and the subject it is a prerequisite for here.

How do I request a Requisite Waiver?

  1. Look at the Handbook
    Find the subject in the University Handbook to obtain the Subject Coordinator's contact details and the pre-requisites for each subject
  2. Get approval
    Contact the Subject Coordinator to request a requisite waiver. You will need the Coordinator's written permission to take the subject. Melbourne Law School (MLS) students: submit a Subject Prerequisite Waiver Application directly to the MLS. Do not contact the Subject Coordinator for permission.
  3. Submit the Enrolment Variation form
    Once you have permission, use the Enrolment Variation form to submit your enrolment request. You will need to upload a copy of the Coordinator's written permission when submitting your application as a PDF attachment (we cannot accept screenshots or Word documents). The approval should clearly show the following:
    • Subject Coordinator's name and email address
    • Your name and email address
    • The subject title and code