Change to name and personal details

You can update your name and personal details if they change or are recorded incorrectly. This process applies to current students, alumni (alum) and applicants.

Changes you can request

  • Update your legal name after an official change
  • Make a correction to your legal name or date of birth
  • Update preferred given name, personal (gender) identifier or title

Accepted forms of photo ID

  • Australian or international passport
  • Australian driver licence
  • Australian Proof of Age Card
  • Australian Keypass

All photo ID must be valid (not expired).

Accepted proof of your name change

A proof of name change document should contain your current and former name.

  • Birth certificate/reissued birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce certificate
  • Legal change of name certificate
  • Letter of Verification
  • Overseas legal name change document, such as a deed poll, gazettal notice, or similar

Please note that if your document is in a language other than English, you must also provide a translation by a NAATI-certified translator.

How do I get my documents certified?

  1. Make a copy of the original document.
  2. Take the original and copy to a certifier that works in one of these occupations.
  3. The certifier must check your copy, sign and date it, then write/stamp, ‘I certify that this is a true copy of the original as sighted by me’.

For more information, please see this Australian Government guide to having your documents certified.

2. Complete the form

Download the form, fill in the relevant details and save a digital copy.

Download Change to personal details form (PDF 110.7 KB)

3. Submit your request

Use the button below for current students and recent graduates (SSO login required), or applicants and alumni to submit your required documentation and form.

Combine your required documentation into one file

Due to a system limitation, you can only attach one file when submitting your request. If you have multiple documents:

  • Please use a PDF combining app to combine your required documentation before submitting.
  • Alternatively, you can attach one document initially and reply to your submission confirmation email, to attach any additional files in your email response.

We are working to rectify this issue and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

How long do requests take?

Most requests are processed within 3-5 business days. However, during peak periods, such as graduation rounds, it can take between 5-10 business days for requests to be processed.

Update your details on your HELP loan

You must ensure your personal details at the University match those held at the Australian Tax Office (ATO). You can manage your personal details using ATO online services, or by contacting the ATO individual enquiries line on 13 28 61.

To be eligible for a loan under the Higher Education Support Act 2003, you must provide a valid Tax File Number (TFN). For a TFN to be valid, it must be able to be confirmed with the ATO as belonging to you. The University can only confirm this if your details match with the ATO. If the University cannot verify your TFN by the census date, you have not met the TFN requirements and will not be eligible for a HELP loan.

Update your details with Centrelink

Ensure that the personal details at the University match those held at Centrelink  to avoid you needing to provide proof of enrolment to Centrelink. Find out how to update your details with Centrelink.

Support for trans and gender diverse students

We welcome and celebrate trans and gender diverse students! In line with the Gender Affirmation policy, our IT systems allows you choice of gender markers.

  • What can I change to reflect my identity?

    You can change your personal (or gender) identifier to:

    • Man or male
    • Woman or female
    • Non-binary
    • I/They use a different term
    • Prefer not to say

    You can also update your title, specify your title if it is not listed on the form, or choose 'No title preferred' if you do not want a title on your student record.

  • How is my personal information used?

    Your personal identifier remains private and is kept as a record of your personal details, but will allow your details as a student to more accurately reflect your identity.

    While your title will appear next to your name on your academic transcript, titles are not included on your testamur (graduation certificate).

    Your preferred name will be updated in student systems (eg my.unimelb, MyTimetable). However your legal name registered with the University may appear in some official correspondence.

    All personal information collected by the University is managed under Privacy Legislation and governed by the University's Privacy Policy. For more information, visit the Privacy website.

  • What if my documentation doesn't align with my gender identity?

    We will update your personal identifier and title based on the information on your Change to personal details form, not what is listed on any photo ID or proof of name change.

  • Where can I find additional support?

    To find support on campus:

    • The Safer Community Program offers specialist support to the University's transgender and gender diverse (TGD) community.
    • You can talk to Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS) about issues which affect your study, relationships, work or emotions. Counsellors can help you gain a clearer understanding of a situation and to identify strategies or options for action. Our Counsellors offer a confidential, responsive and respectful service regardless of your cultural background, beliefs or lifestyle.
    • The Student Union Queer Department is run by your fellow students and works towards improving life for queer students by providing advice, social spaces and events, support groups, resources and a shoulder to cry on in hard situations. The department has links to other Student Union departments such as the Welfare, Disabilities, Wom*n's and Indigenous departments. Together we can offer a wider range of support services.
    • The Graduate Students Association (GSA) fosters an environment of inclusion and outreach for all students who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Transgender, Intersex and Questioning (LGBTIQ). The GSA encourages open dialogue between the LGBTIQ graduate student community and the University through LGBTIQ graduate student representation and tailored events. Our LGBTIQ officer can also provide confidential support and advice to students in relation to their sexuality/gender identity. You can connect with us via our GSA Facebook page, or contact your LGBTIQ Graduate representative.

    If you're questioning your gender identity or would like to find out more about the trans and gender diverse communities, check out the resources below:

Get new academic statements, email, or student card

  • How do I get new academic transcripts and statements?

    You can order new academic transcripts and statements online once your details have been updated, including a replacement testamur (graduation certificate). There may be a cost associated with this.

  • Do I get a new student email address after updating my name?

    Only your alias email can be updated, your primary email address will remain the same. We can update your alias email for you if you indicate this on your Change to personal details form, or you can follow the steps to add or update your alias.

  • Can I get a new student card after updating my legal name?

    We will assess this as part of processing your change to personal details request and will notify you if you are eligible for a replacement student card.

  • Do I need to revalidate my Unique Student Identifier (USI)?

    Your USI should be automatically be revalidated within two business days of your personal details being updated. Find out more about the USI.