Visas for your family

You may wish to invite family to visit you or live with you during your time in Australia.

Inviting friends or family to visit

If your friends or family want to visit you while you're in Australia, it's likely they will need to obtain a visitor visa (subclass 600).

As part of their visa application, your friends or family may be asked for additional documentation by the Department of Home Affairs. This can include:

Bringing your family to live

Dependents and subsequent entrants

The Department of Home Affairs allows most students to bring their immediate family members to Australia. Immediate family members are called dependents, and may include your spouse (or de facto partner) and children under the age of 18.

Remember to declare all members of your family unit on your initial student visa application.

If your dependents will be moving to Australia at the same time as you

You can include them in your own student visa (subclass 500) application.

If your dependents were listed on your original student visa application, but will join you after you’ve commenced your studies

They can join you as subsequent entrants. They will need to apply for a student visa (subclass 500) (Subsequent Entrant).

To apply for this visa, you must:

Obtain a Nomination of Dependent letter

Australia Awards scholars who wish to have their dependents join them after arrival do not need to obtain a Nomination of Dependent letter but will need to arrange for a No Objection Letter to support this application instead. For more information, see Australia Awards family and travel.

If someone becomes your dependent after your visa has been granted (e.g. becomes your spouse)

If you did not declare a family member on your initial visa application, and they need to join you in Australia at a later date, you will need to apply for a new student visa. You must include your family member on the new application and explain why they were not included on your initial application.

If you give birth while in Australia

You should notify the Department of Home Affairs of your newborn child. By law, they will receive the same visa as you, but only if you have taken steps to inform the Department of Home Affairs.


If you are under 18 years of age and require a family member to stay with you in Australia, they will need to apply for a Student Guardian visa (subclass 590). For more information, see Bringing a partner or family (Department of Home Affairs).

Need help with your visas for your family?

Submit an online enquiry to Stop 1 and we'll get back to you within 10 business days.

Submit an enquiry

The Australian government has updated information regarding student visas during the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, see our visa FAQs.