Paying your fees (domestic students)

Find out about paying your fees as a domestic student.

Checking your balance

There are three statements that provide information about your unpaid fees, payment due dates, payment options and payments received by the University.

  1. Statement of Liability
    Lists the most up-to-date details of your fees owing, payment due dates and payment options for the full calendar year. It is updated whenever you change your enrolment, and can be used as an invoice for fee payment. You can download your Statement of Liability from my.unimelb at any time.
  2. Student Invoice
    Lists your fees owing, payment due dates and payment options for the current billing period only. Invoices are sent to your student email account throughout the year. Find out how to read and understand your Student Invoice in our understanding your Student Invoice guide (PDF 419.0 KB).
  3. Fee Account Statement:
    Lists all your fees charged, payments received and how these payments have been allocated to your account. This statement can be used as a receipt for payments you've made.

You can access these statements on my.unimelb.

Fee types

Mandatory fees for all domestic students include:

For more information about how your fees are calculated see understanding your fees.

More information on fee types

  • Optional fees

    If your fees are displayed as ‘Optional’, this means that you have applied for a Government loan: HECS-HELP; FEE-HELP or SA-HELP, and provided your Tax File Number.

    You must ensure that your HELP balance is sufficient to pay your fees. Any shortfall between your HELP balance and your fee charges must be paid upfront to the University by the due date.

    You are not required to pay these fees upfront to the University, however, if you choose to pay upfront, it must be paid by the census date. If no payment is received by the subject census date, the cost of the subject will be reported to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) as your HELP loan debt.

  • Australian government loans

    As a domestic student you may be eligible to get a loan from the Australian government to pay for all or part of your fees through a HELP loan:

    • If you are enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), you may be eligible for a HECS-HELP loan to pay for your fees. You will also have to pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). You may be eligible for a SA-HELP loan to cover this fee.
    • If you aren't enrolled in a CSP, you are enrolled in a fee paying place. You may be eligible for a FEE-HELP loan to pay for your fees.
    • If you are enrolled in a CSP and want to study overseas, you may be eligible for an OS-HELP loan to help pay your expenses.

    Please see the Australian government's Study Assist website for more information on HELP loans.

    To apply for a HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP loan:

    1. Submit your application with your Tax File Number before your earliest census date or the payment due date (whichever is the earliest). If it’s submitted after the subject’s census date, you will need to pay the subject fee upfront.
    2. Once the form is approved, check your Statement of Liability to ensure your tuition fee charges are displayed as ‘Optional’. Upfront payment will no longer be required.
    3. You will be issued a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) after each census date. This will confirm the amounts reported to the government as your HELP loan debt, and any upfront payments you have made to the University before the subject’s census date. This is not an invoice and cannot be used to make the upfront payment to the University.

Legislative changes made by the Australian Government mean that from 1 January 2022 additional requirements apply to accessing Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) and HELP loans. Find out more.

Payment methods

You can pay for your fees via the following methods:

  • BPAY
  • Telegraphic transfer
  • Credit card (Visa or MasterCard).

All available payments methods are displayed on your Student Invoice and Statement of Liability with your own unique reference information.

Every time you make a payment to the University you must use your payment reference, which is unique to you. This will ensure all your payments are correctly received into your student account.

How to pay by BPAY, transfer or credit card

Instalment options

You’ll be able to select your instalment option when you complete the administrative enrolment for your course.

Students enrolled in a degree with mandatory tuition fees can choose the following instalment options:

  • Standard instalments: one payment made in advance of a study period for the entire cost in that study period.
  • Dual instalments: where the subject cost for a study period is divided into two equal instalments with separate due dates. This option is not available for:
    • Community Access Program (CAP) students
    • Students who are paying using FEE-HELP
    • Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) students
    • Melbourne Business School (MBS) students
    • online course students

If you don’t select an instalment option, your tuition fees will be charged as the default standard instalment (one payment for the study period in full). If you wish to change your instalment option please email from your University email account.

Due dates

Your Student Invoice and Statement of Liability will indicate the due dates for your unpaid fees. You are responsible for paying your fees on time. Keep your payment receipt as proof that you paid fees prior to or on the due date.

If the payment due date is displayed as ‘Immediately’, payment is required within seven days of the Student Invoice issue date.

It's important to pay on time or overdue fee penalties will apply. If you have overdue fees you will also have sanctions applied to your account and you will receive an alert in my.unimelb and in the LMS. You need to follow the instructions in the alert to have the fee sanction removed.

More information on due dates

  • Why are census dates important?

    Each subject has a census date, which is the last date you can withdraw from a subject without remaining liable for the subject cost, and without it appearing on your academic statements. The census date is different for each subject.

    You can check census dates by viewing the subject entry in the Handbook.

    Learn more about census dates

  • What happens if I pay after the due date?

    If you pay a mandatory tuition fee after its due date, you will be charged a late payment penalty fee.

    Late payment fees are not charged if the payment is received by the University within seven days from the payment due date.

    If you are a Commonwealth Supported student and do not pay a mandatory student contribution amount by the subject census date, you will not have to pay a late fee, but under the Commonwealth legislation, your enrolment in the subject must be cancelled unless you are eligible and submit a new HECS-HELP form and provide your Tax File Number by the census date in order to defer your Student Contribution.

    Find out more about receiving HECS-HELP without a Tax File Number.

Checking if your payment has been received

You can check your payment has been received by the University by downloading your Fee Account Statement.

Please note that payments made via:

  • Bpay, credit card, or local EFT transfer before 5pm on a business day will be received by the University the following business day. Payments made after 5pm on a business day will be received two days after.
  • Telegraphic transfer from overseas will take up to seven working days for payment to be received.

Need help with your fees?

Submit an online enquiry to Stop 1 and we'll get back to you within 10 business days.

Submit an enquiry