Eligibility for semester and year-long programs

Find out if you're eligible to undertake a Semester or Year-long overseas study experience.

Most students at the University of Melbourne will be eligible for Semester and Year-long programs.

Exchange Programs are open to:

  • students of all ages
  • domestic and international students.

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible to participate in a Semester and Year-long program you must*:

  • be enrolled as a student at the University of Melbourne
  • have completed a minimum of two study periods (undergraduate students) or one study period (graduate students) at the University of Melbourne before departure
  • not have an 'at risk' status at the time of application or before commencing the overseas study program
  • not have conditions imposed by the Course Academic Progress Committee
  • not be subject to an undischarged misconduct penalty, suspended for misconduct, or become suspended any time before commencing the overseas study program.

There is no minimum Weighted Average Mark (WAM) criteria.

*Melbourne Law School students are required to satisfy eligibility requirements as outlined by the School including a 65% WAM requirement.

Study periods

Study periods vary across the academic year and include terms, semesters, year-long and intensive periods of study.

Other requirements

If you fulfil the eligibility criteria above, you will also need to:

  • complete the compulsory myWorld First Steps online program
  • get overseas study plan approval for the subjects you wish to take overseas
  • demonstrate your ability to support your stay overseas through a financial plan
  • satisfy host institution and country entry requirements
  • be a good ambassador for the University of Melbourne
  • study the equivalent of at least a full-time load while overseas.

Important information

If you would like to check your academic status before applying for overseas study, contact Stop 1.

If you become 'at risk' in the academic period immediately prior to departure, your participation will be subject to the approval of the Registrar in consultation with the relevant course coordinator. You will be required to meet any expense incurred due to cancellation of eligibility.

Honours students

Honours students must have completed one semester and 37.5 points of coursework study at the University of Melbourne before departing to study overseas. This may consist of study completed as part of your honours course or as part of your undergraduate degree (if completed at the University of Melbourne).

You must have the support of your honours coordinator and thesis supervisor to participate in a Semester-long program during your honours year. Different faculties may also have different eligibility requirements, so it's a good idea to consult with your honours coordinator for more information.

In most cases you will not be able to officially begin your thesis until you return to Melbourne after your exchange. This will extend your honours course by 6 months (to a total of 18 months).

Honours students wanting to undertake a research opportunity overseas should see Programs for researchers.

Transferring students

If you have transferred to the University of Melbourne after at least a semester of study at another tertiary institution, and have been granted credit at the University of Melbourne, you will only be required to complete a minimum of 12.5 points and one study period at the University of Melbourne before being eligible to apply for overseas study.

All other undergraduate eligibility requirements also apply.